What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthrive advice, got any?

In Peter D'Amato's book "Savage Garden" he writes that Nepenthes may benefit from Superthrive. Has anyone any advice on how much a nep would need? Should I just avoid the stuff?
blues.gif

Hey,
I read on Sarracenia.com that some (I think) unofficial tests had shown that no! it does not make a difference. On the other hand I grow numerous epiphytic plants as well as Neps. and I swear by the stuff. I use about 1tspn per glln of water every third or fourth time I water.

Joe

Ahh... will we ever really know if SuperThrive "works." I read the part about ST on sarracenia.com as well, it was informative. However, there is so much testimony from growers that ST kinda sorta might be beneficial, that I use it. To the best of my knowledge, one of the things that ST does well is it helps with root development.
There is little evidence of ST being harmful to the most species in the Nepenthes genus in small doses... if I suspected otherwise I would not use it.

Do some experiments if you can afford to. I am unsure of misting with superthrive.. I believe Savage Garden mentions it, and a few other sources have mentioned misting with superthrive. Misting Neps with fertilizers, as far as I can tell, is not a bad idea. Many people recommend that method as opposed to subjecting the roots to fertilizer... less potential for plant loss I guess. But then again, many people soak the roots of bare plants in a ST solution when transplanting.

Personally if I am simply using SThrive as a supplemental fertilizer, I use 1-2 drops per gallon. If I am using ST as a "treatment" for repotting plants, or if I am trying to make a "big move" a little less stressful (ie, after the plant has been shipped somewhere or came home from store) I would use the 1TEASPOON per gallon mixture.

Start small. One reference I use (if using ST as a fertilizer) is that the water should just BARELY (if at all) smell like ST.
By the way -the algae in my chamber LOVE superthrive as well.

I used about 1/3 of a teaspoon of ST per gallon of distilled water for my nepenthes cuttings/transplants this past year.  I also used it for my Heliamphora and Sarrs with no negative outcomes.  So, it won't hurt your plants if you don't over do - that's my advice.  If it actually helps, well, that is another story we all seem to be wondering about  
laugh.gif

-Homer

I had a highland redstripe that wasn'tdoing so goodm so I SUPERTHRIVED it. 4 drops per 12 ounces of H2O, once every two weeks for a month or so, and BOOM! I've now got two new pitures and a new leaf in the center. I have only heard that this works on Neppenthis, I would STRONGLY advise against using on Pings or Drosera.

Hi all,

So are you ALL using ST as a foliar spray?

If so I am assuming you are avoiding the sunniest part of the day in order to prevent leaf burning?

Thanks,

Aaron.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So are you ALL using ST as a foliar spray?

Nope, never have.  

-Homer

Homer,

Care to elaborate on how you are using it then?

Dipping cuttings/transplants?
Watering into substrate?

Just trying to get an idea of how those using ST are applying it.

Aaron.

i love super thrive. I think it works on my Neps. It's worth it really. My nep is going like crazy after I used it!

Superthive is 2 green thumbs up! And it tastes good on steak...ummmm...ignore that last one....

I had a surprise a few weeks ago when I bought a new bottle of Superthrive from an orchid supply company. Instead of being an opaque, dark brown liquid like my previous bottle, it is a clear, straw yellow. I use 1 drop per gallon as recommended on the bottle and am not convinced it does anything at that strength. But it costs so little using it so slowly that I keep using it.

Back