What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CITES

• Thread starter shokuchuu
  • Start date
Hello everyone
As some of you may be aware, I am moving [back] to England in June.  Not being able to part with my more prized plants, I decided to apply for a CITES permit (after going to approximately 3 gov. buildings). First off, I'm a little confused as to what "Parental Stock" and "Founder Stock" is. So if anyone can define these terms in layman's.....terms, I would appreciate it.
I know this isn't the ideal forum to post this (although 95% of the plants are Neps), but I know I can get the help I need.  

Thanks for your understanding.

Amori

"Parental Stock" is denoted if your plant was created from seed or taken as a cutting. Probably this is generally used in reference to hybrids but it could be used to indicate true species plants who were made by crossing pollen onto the female to produce seed. As far as "Founding Stock" that is likely a way of denoting that the plant is from Tissue Culture. What the forms want to know is where exactly you obtained a CITES listed plant.

If you don't know where your plants came from (which Tissue Culture Lab: Malesiana Tropicals, Borneo Exotics, Wistuba's Nepenthes Nursery, Exotica Plants, etc.)  it may be a real chore, or even impossible, to get them through customs if you don't have answers for their forms.
sad.gif

Hopefully someone who is more experienced with exporting CITES plants from the USA can give you some helpful advice on getting your forms filled out, I only know enough to get plants in, not out!

Thanks Swords, that already cleared out a heap of mess for me!

Amori

Back