Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: N. truncata

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a recipe person, not particularly specific but rather I will create my own mediums using things that are or might be found in the habitat of the particular plant. This works great for terrestrial cacti and epiphytes but others such as perhaps Neps do not like this. I am an experimentor and have found some interesting things in many plants while killing many in the meantime. It happens though. I am not experimenting with the truncata though. Its fun for me you'd be surprised what works and even better what plants actually like. I like to read about the soil composition of the habitat and whatnot other factors. I have probably more soil components than actual plants in my collection. Oh Well.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Paroubek! The name sounds familiar:,Do you own something? Like a store or retail or something like that? Your name sounds familiar outside of the forums.....I think anyway.

Take care
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 04 2004,23:49)]Tony Paroubek! The name sounds familiar:,Do you own something? Like a store or retail or something like that? Your name sounds familiar outside of the forums.....I think anyway.

Take care
    Joe
    I was big into orchids for many years and ran a small nursery, Par O Bek Orchids. Now it's filled with cps ;> I couldn't change the name though.. too sentimental LOL

I think you did the right thing and clipped back the dying part. Two ways that Nepenthes can die quickly.. one is rot attacking through the growing point which will quickly work it's way down the stem. OR from the root system upwards. In both cases disease can travel quickly up or down the main stem way ahead of when symptoms become visible.

If the growth point is gone and there is still healthy stem below it, the plant will recover by producing a lateral shoot but it will take a long time, particularly with N. truncata.

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats it! I am a site surfer and have ran across your site for several different plants. Thats cool, I've always wanted to make a living on selling plants but I don't think it's that easy. I don't have the money either to start up, or a greenhouse for that matter. It would be nice to make a living doing something you enjoy even if you don't get rich. Oh well, thanks for the above help. I pickup on plants pretty quick but this happened before I've had a chance to get the growing exp. yet.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did'nt have any fungicide so when I cut it, afterwards I put some cutting hormone on it which happens to have a dampoff deterent fungicide "stuff" (my technical babling) in it. It has stopped there. It was soft and brown all the way through. I cut back to green and its stopped there with the cutting dip. (I think I repeated myself) We'll see what happens now.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE I cut the the whole new leaf off because it had gone totally black on and in the center of the stem and was mushy, while the leaf part that unrolls never did go black.It was dead base to tendril tip.][QUOTE]I did'nt have any fungicide so when I cut it, afterwards I put some cutting hormone on it.

YEAH!!!
    Ok, Where I put the cutting powder it is already putting out a new branch out of the previously rotten stem that was cut back to a green stump. The pitcher that was on it is dieing which I think is ok. It has been through alot, it never did open but it did endure a short frost in shipping. New growth is green and I think it is adjusting now. Thanks

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang this is a long thred. Why not just say chop it off around the rot and be done with it, LOL! I'm glad it worked out that way anyhow [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] My N. ventricosa is due for a trasplant and bang! what do I see over spring break? Rot along one leaf, jumping to others that were in contact with it and starting to run up along the edge of the stem. I pulled off the leaves inclueding the yellowing parts and split it open to find a nice fuzz lining the inside of the central vein of the leaf :P fungi. So I grabed a knife carved out the bad parts like you would on a tree, sprayed with with a little fungiside just in case (fungiside has never worked for me when sprayed on anything but open wounds) and bing, overnight my plant sealed it'self off and hasn't had a single sign of the infection since [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234