Thread: N. truncata

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,
    The main stem of a new leaf unrolling is turning brown-black. The actual leaf part is green but the stem and beginning tendril look to be dieing. The other leaves have some slight rust discoloration but only slightly. Help please I would hate to lose my monster.

My enclosure: 45gl pentagon
    95deg. F.
    96% humidity
    1-65wtt 6500K compactflourescent 7500lumens
    2-20wtt "sun"(full spectrum)
    2" water at bottom (pots above)
    16 hrs on 8 off
    potted in 80%NZ sphagnum and 20%leafmulch
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with all your conditions, do you have ventilation gaps in the lid?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't but I do have Co2 running in but not oxygen. The lid would'nt hold water out but it's pretty airtight. What's wrong?

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]??
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there been a recent Event of Significance™ in your chamber that may cause a 'nep to tweak out?
    10+ degree temp change? Humidity fluctuation? Have you recently moved the chamber? New plant? Different water? Spill some strong Superthrive or something on the leaf or on the soil?

I guess what I am getting at is: has your little micro environment in the chamber been constant for the last month or week or so?

In any event, your climate stats appear to be pretty hardcore. Humidity of 95% and a 96degree temp are pretty severe from what I've heard for growing of N. truncata. The plant is said to be pretty tolerant of a little deviation from ideal growing conditions.

How long have you had the plant? Is it established?

Anyway, that leaf mulch idea is interesting. I have never heard of anyone using that in a media mix. It makes sense, though.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

what about that leaf chop why does it make sence I have so many leafs and not so much spagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had the plant for 2 1/2 weeks. The first day I broke the growing tip off, but 1 week later it sent out a new leaf and began unrolling. At the first sign of unrolling (3-4days ago) I noticed that it was beginning to turn brown on the main stem. I then used some BanRot on it (just alittle), but it has been progressing still. The leaf parts are still brilliant though. When I got it, it had one pitcher and 4 leaves with no tendrils and 1 new tendril (the 1 that I broke). 1 leaf died and I pinched it off but the others are still green as well. It lives with some other epiphytic plants(Rhipsalis,Heliocereus, Disocactus) The Co2 actually was started about the same time as I noticed this, but growth rates have also picked as well. Could it be the Co2 ? I have read of it doing good for Neps. I grow lots of other plants but this is my first Nep. I need some help!

I worked for a Interiorscape company and I used to bring home all kinds of plants and shred them up and let them decompose. I also add Mycrorhiza to it as well.

Thanks
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is quite a set-up. Are the sun lamps part of the 6500K lamp or separate? I am wondering if you are experiencing a significant temperature drop from the sun lamps going off. Have you thought of using a submergable aquarium heater to heat the tank? If you used that with some more ventilation, it would make it warm, humid and have some air flow.
    Other than that, I guess the only other suspiscious thing would be the leaf mulch you are making, as it would hard to know what chemicals were used in growing the plants that it is composed of. Do you still live in Nebraska? Lowe's in Omaha has a orchid mix with fine orchid bark, perlite and charcoal. That would make a fine thing to mix with the sphagnum.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the fact that your plant is very recent, it makes sense why a new leaf shows different signs of growth. I have heard that you can typically judge the whole Neps health based on the newest leaf. That new leaf will show what is going on, too little light, minerals in substrate, pests, and etc.

I would agree with everyone here, you need to give your neps some air circulation, possibly to save the nep from such temperature fluctuations with the sun lamps being on and off. Plus, your leaf mulch is a risk, but NOT necessarily a hazard. It all depends on what is composed of.

I think you give your nep a little more time and little less heat 95f can be quite a bit for a Truncata. Here's a little info from Jurassic-Gardens.com:

truncata 230 - 600 m Philippines

Lowlanders

Lowland Nepenthes are those which grow below 1000 meters elevation above sea level in lowland swamps, heath forests, low hills and lower montane elevations. These plants almost never experience temperatures lower than 70*F and the temperatures can get very high during the day (up to 105*F on the face of mountain cliffs) however the humidity must be correspondingly high to avoid desiccation of the plant in the higher heat ranges.

Ideally for cultivation daytime temps for Lowland Nepenthes should range from 85-95*F and nights of 70-75*F.

So, temp is proabably too high. I hope this helps! I wish your Truncata all the best! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

If you are interested Josh has great Nepenthes plants and he owns this website. Check it out. Nepenthes Cultivation
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast