Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Five degrees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an observation that may interest some of you:

Recently I got my old grow chamber up and running and my CP's have been much happier with the new living arrangement.

I have a Nepenthes growing in the tank that I believe is N. ventrata. It has been "almost growing" in my chamber for a few weeks following a year of *obscene* neglect -don't ask. I was pretty happy when I noticed that my Nep's were starting to liven up again and pitcher after a bit of a vaction. "Golly gee" I thought, "why not make these puppies even MORE happy by placing an aquarium heater in the tank?"

The temp stood around 72-75degrees F, and I felt it may be a little too cold for my plants. I used an aquarium heater to raise the temp to around 79-80degrees F.

Welll... both of my Nepenthes promptly ceased pitchering within a few days of the temp increase. One of the new leaves of my N. ventrata that was just about to begin unfurling showed a disturbing growth distortion -all bent over and twisted, you know the sight. I did not really think that such a subtle temp increase would cause them to stop pitchering, but even after several weeks there was no sign of new pitcher development.
    That really bummed me out, because I have been very anxious to see my N.ventrata to start pitchering once again, and it stopped development with one pitcher 1/5th developed! Bummer
    Recently I removed the aquarium heater, and the pitcher development resumed almost instantly.

To make a long story short, an increase of merely ~5 degrees F was all it took to cause my Nep's to cease pitcher development.
    That was news to me
    -Trev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say 79-80 do you mean all day and all night??

N. xVentrata is a highland plant even though it is quite tolerant to a wide range of temperatures and conditions. I am guessing it was not allowed to cool off at night??

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the heater in water? If not perhaps that 5 degrees also dropped you humidity.

Just a guess.

joe
    Signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much light do you give your plants? Very high humidity and low light will result in gnarled growth, in my experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The aquarium heater tunrned off at night to provide a temp drop down to about 65degrees.
    See, the light in my chamber is not *optimum* but it is decent enough. I am designing a new hood at the moment that will utilize six 48" tubes. Currently I use four 48" tubes. My pitchers color up and appear realatively happy, but I know they could use a bit more light.

Regarding the gnarled growth that appeared when I started heating the tank: That gnarled growth appeared only when the heater was introduced. All of the other elements of the tank had been constant for a few weeks. The only thing that I can think of that caused the gnarled growth and the halted pitcher development was either the introduction of the heater or... something else.