Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where do you grow your neps at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here you go:

[img]http://home.**********.com/odysseus/MyNEPTank_Left.jpg[/img]
    The Nep in the middle back corner has already outgrown the tank. It has only been in their for three months! You'll find that Nepenthes grow space can be difficult to adequately supply without creativity. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's the other side of SAME tank:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/odysseus/MyNEPTank_right.jpg[/img]
    That poor Nep in the back corner on this side experienced quite a burn when I introduced it to this tank, unfortunately.
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice terrarium !!!!!!! I will find a place to grow mine .The thing is that when i put them outside in the summer here they do great they pitcher and grow really fast all of them . But unfortunately a month after coming in they lose all there pitchers.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my smaller Nepenthes under my bed with 2 flourescent lights. I'm doing this till it starts to get warmer and the humidity rises.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have 2 neps. I had the 1 growing outside during the summer, the second I got I tried growing inside the house. I might leave them both inside all year long. I grow them in a south facing sliding glass door. Once they adjusted to the inside conditions the grow and pitcher nicely.

carnivorkid,
    Do you adjust your plants when you bring them inside? I would bring mine in at night when it would get to cold, and place them back outside in the morning if the temperature got hot enough. I would do this till the temperature did not get above 60 during the day. So the plants might have had a month or so of in and out. That way they are getting adjusted to the indoor environment. My plant did not lose any pitchers, but it did take a while before it started to grow new ones.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my small lowlander Nepenthes in a 75 gallon aquarium with 240 W of lighting (6x 40 watt fluorescents). The large lowlanders and intremediates go into a large grow chamber I made out of a fiberglass tub/shower stall which has a sliding glass door on the front, plexiglass ontop with a 400W metal halide lighting it.

The cool growing highlanders live in another showerstall sized chamber on the otherside of the house in the coolest room. This chamber I built myself from 2"x2" lumber and fiberglass tub surround wall panels (waterproof) and a storm window (for access). It uses 300W of power compact lighting, a continuous flow of fresh air and humidifier fog into the chamber (fog is controlled by a humidistat so it doesn't get too wet). At night the fan is set in the window to take the cool air from outside and blow it into the chamber. In summer the fan is set in front of an air conditioner to get the cool nights.

As far as acclimating plants goes, it takes about 3-6 months for a Nepenthes to settle in every time it get's moved to a new location so my suggestion would be to get a stable environment together and leave it there until it is too large for that area. That's why I use "large" grow chambers so the plants don't have to get moved around. They will pitcher easier and grow as fast as they can if they are in good stable growing conditions and fed with insects.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I still am thoroughly jeolous of your growing chamber. Whenever i think if Indoor Nep tanks I think of yours and wonder when my wife will let me build one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine under my bed also i have a bunk bed with no bottom and i grow a bunch of plants under there and i have a bunch of florescense lights. A 75 gallon growing chamer would be awesome they would grow so well and could grow so many
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two small neps in a mini greenhouse and one larger one I bought at a garden center yesterday. It's a beautiful n. alata with 5" pitchers. The big nep is in a hanging basket suspended near a window off the wall. I'm misting it fequently so it gets acclimated to my home conditions easier. I hope it does well. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast