What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Please keep us updated as the seedpods develop!!

Will do!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is your greenhouse irrigation R.O. filtered? If so, what are you using to provide the pressure and quantity required by a Turbo HydroFogger?

Yes, I use an RO system, with a pressurized reservoir. This is
used to feed the HydroFogger. It works quite well....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Didn't you use in the past a common ultrasonic humidfier, or is the fogger we are talking about in the lowland area?

We are talking about the lowland area.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]mazaltoff!
It's a boy!

Thanks!
smile.gif

OK, so let me get this straight, the outdoor greenhouse is a heated lowland climate with the tubro XE Hydrofogger fan unit and the indoor grow chambers for the ultrahighlands I am assuming is humidified by a typical ultrasonic humidifier correct?

You are mostly correct. I have an indoor environment for
highland plants. I also have specialized terraria (modified
freezers, really) for true ultrahighland plants, such as
NN. villosa, lamii, diatas, etc. The highland environment
is humidified by ultrasonic means, but the ultrahighland
terraria are not mechanically humidified. Rather, I've
found that the water which naturally collects there is
more than sufficient to keep the internal humidity
near saturation.

Ah ok, thank you Jeff.
smile.gif
Thanks for the clarification
smile.gif

You are welcome!
smile.gif

Hi Jeff,

I don't doubt that you grow your N. datas beautifully but have you really found it necessary to grow them in an ultrahighland chamber? I'm asking because we grow them in highland conditions (13 - 25 deg. C) and they seem fine but I feel that the pitchers could be larger.

Oh yes, and when are you going to write a book on cultivation
smile.gif

Hi Rob,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't doubt that you grow your N. datas beautifully but have you really found it necessary to grow them in an ultrahighland chamber?

I'm afraid I have found it necessary to grow my
specimen of N. diatas in very cool conditions.
Overnight lows of 13 to 14 C were just not cool
enough for the plant I have. It simply never
pitchered under my standard highland conditions.
I don't believe that my plant came from you, so
perhaps it is from a higher, and therefore cooler,
location....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh yes, and when are you going to write a book on cultivation

Maybe when I retire...?
smile.gif

Well, speaking of N. diatas plants from Rob.....
smile.gif

diatas.sized.jpg

This is the "meadow form" type. Are these seed growns Rob? Thanks
smile.gif

Whoops! I can spell "diatas" - really
biggrin.gif

That's interesting info Jeff. The plants we have come from the same place as yours I believe, the meadow on the top of Mt. Bandahara. We're growing them OK, in fact Tony posted a photo on his home page of the pitcher on a plant he had just received from us, but as I said earlier, I feel the pitchers on our plants in the nursery have not reached their size potential. We are sourcing a large evaporative cooler, much like the one used by Geoff Mansell which should help drop the temperatures a lot and we'll try N. diatas in front of that.

Nice pitcher Dustin! Yes, that plant was almost certainly seed grown. We're now offering specific clones from TC but the first ones we shipped were raised from seed. If you tell me where you purchased it I can check my records to be sure.

very nice photos every one. Jeff those will be some awesome hybrids! N .lowii x northiana I can't ever imagine that one. Is that an N. edwardsiana on your avatar?

thanks
-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jeff those will be some awesome hybrids!

Thank you; I hope so!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is that an N. edwardsiana on your avatar?

Yes, someone gave me an image of that species, and I edited it digitally to produce the avatar. I think it makes a nice avatar, really.

Back