What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

Well, I've been meaning to post a few things for a while,
and thought now would be a good time.

First of all, I've had a lot of things flower this year, including
NN. lowii, aristolochioides, maxima, lowii x veitchii, spathulata,
and so forth, but nothing is quite as exciting as this: N. northiana and N. hamata in flower!

Here is a picture of the N. northiana inflorescence. The twist tie
in the photo reminds me which flowers I've already pollinated.

northianaInflorescence.jpg

This is a closeup shot of a couple of the flowers:

northianaFlowers.jpg

Here is a shot of the N. hamata inflorescence. It is clearly
a long way from flowering yet, but I believe it is male.

hamataFlowers.jpg

I have already made several interesting crosses, including
lowii x spathulata, lowii x northiana, aristolochioides x spathulata,
and aristolochioides x northiana. And, the hamata
pollen promises to allow for even more interesting crosses
in the future....

I intend to provide some of these seeds to TC labs so that
these hybrids will hopefully become available to everyone
who wants them.

Hey, very interesting, should be cool to see how the hybrids come out

Oh...that's what a flower looks like.
smile.gif

Oh wow that hamata flower looks nice actually they all do . HAvent seen many pictures of blooming nepenthes .Thanks for showing them

Thanks! Glad that you found them of interest.

Jeff,

This is a silly question, as a lot of us are living vicariously through you, lol.
Anyway, a lot of people have noticed things like the same species flower at the same time each year, and when it happens, ALL the specimens of that species they have flower. Have you noticed anything like this when your plants flower? There is probably not one thing that will make all species flower at once(there would be nothing but hybrids if that happened in the wild), but it would be cool if we could figure out how to make one species flower, than another, ect.
Thanks for the pics.
Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

No, that's not a silly question. What I've observed is that
my Nepenthes tend to flower in spring, regardless of species.
However, this does not mean that any species flowers
with regularity, nor have I observed different specimens of the
same species to flower at the same time.

Neps, do you also maintain an outdoor greenhouse? How would the neps know it is spring if they live in the basement?

Joe

Yes, I also have an outdoor greenhouse.

I don't know how the plants in the basement know
spring is coming. All I can tell you is that they
bloom more often this time of year. It may be that
there is more residual light entering their environment
through windows, or it could be that temperatures have
warmed up just a bit. Other than that, I'm really not sure.

Well thats something knew, I didn't know you had an outdoor greenhouse for sure.
smile.gif
How do you water the plant and maintain humidity in the greenhouse Jeff? Also what is your heating application if you don't mind my asking. Thanks
smile.gif

Plants are watered by hand, while humidity is maintained by
means of a fogger regulated via humidistat. I have a 25,000
BTU gas heater to keep the plants warm.

Ah, thanks! Um is it a regular ultrasonic humidifer fogger or one of those centrifugal ones? Could you direct me to the place where you purchased yours perhaps?

The product I use is called a Hydrofogger. Try searching
on that. I honestly don't remember where I bought mine, but
I am happy with it.

The type I have is of the former variety.

Ah, so you have ohne of the Turbo hyrdofogger fan units. I see. Well thanks for the info, I think I'll stick to my plans for a seocndary mist system, its much more feasible in my price range.
smile.gif

Very interesting new hybrids, Jeff. I am very interested in lowland x highland type hybrids, because the few that are around are very tolerant of a wide range of temperatures. Of course, what peaked my interest was the N. lowii x N. northiana. Please keep us updated as the seedpods develop!!
Also, we've had all the same species-hybrids tending to bloom at the same time, but for us in our greenhouse, the dominant season tends more towards late summer and early fall. Spring is when we get our best pitchers.

Trent

Hi Jeff,
I forgot to ask about your greenhouse too. Is your greenhouse irrigation R.O. filtered? If so, what are you using to provide the pressure and quantity required by a Turbo HydroFogger?
smile.gif

Trent (again)

Jeff,

Didn't you use in the past a common ultrasonic humidfier, or is the fogger we are talking about in the lowland area?
According to Dustin's link, that bugger covers 500 sq ft(I wonder if they meant cubic feet?). I imagine you can't saturate the air too much, as long as there is some air movement, lol.

Joe

Back