What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all,
While tending to my plants this morning, I suddenly discovered much to my horror that my N. rajah and its basal rosette, along with my N. hamata, have black on their growth. The rajah's newest fully uncurled leaf with a developing tendril has edges that look like they have been burned with flames, and the basal rosette looks just like that, except more leaves are like that on the small plant. My hamata's newest swelling tendril has the top blackening, and this all just came literally out of nowhere! I just checked on them all last night, with no problems. I am very worried, but I cannot figure out anything that is wrong. There are no pests on them, or anything else apparently wrong. These are growing with all of my other highland plants that are apparently fine. The only thing I noticed is that the live sphagnum moss on their pots is white, with water not affecting it. I am absolutely puzzled/worried since this came out of nowhere. There have been no changes in environment etc., so I have no clue what is wrong... My only guess is it may be an internal fungus, but how would it hit all of that? Please help! THANKS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

UPDATE: My N. jacquelineae's just starting to swell tendril's lid has started to blacken as well. I am really panicking, I have no clue what is going on...
sad.gif

Pictures would be helpful if you can get some clear shots.

I doubt it's internal fungus. A few things come to mind but really hard to diagnose what the cause is with situations like this.
Could be things were too wet and you have some spotty infection. Could be things got too warm ie burning signs on the edges of the leaves etc. Could be a case of salt/mineral/chemical burn. Did you get new water recently? Apply any kind of fertilizers or spray them with anything? Could be a case of light burn.. Did you change all your bulbs very recently?

Tony

I did actually change one buld about two weeks ago... I wonder if it is just now showing up? Does the light affect sphagnum and tendrils as well? That is the most likely cause, because temperature has been fine as of late. The only thing that puzzles me is the basal rosette. It is hiding underneath the parent rajah's leaves... If this doesn't help, I will go snap some pictures. THANKS!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did actually change one buld about two weeks ago... I wonder if it is just now showing up?

No I don't think it would take 2weeks to show up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The only thing that puzzles me is the basal rosette. It is hiding underneath the parent rajah's leaves...

More reason to believe it is not the light but something else.
Could still be chemical/mineral burn or excess moisture.

Slash and burn everthing in your tank...that will kill the fungus.......

just kidding...

I think it could most likely be a fungus, but having it rapidly spead and show up over night is very puzzuling...
sad.gif

Well, I have never used any chemicals in that tank at all... I don't see any signs of fungus, plus there is good airflow and humidity. The sphagum in their pots suddenly whitening puzzles me too...

this is exactly what happened to my clipeata!! died 6 weeks later!
sad.gif

Don't say that! The good news is that on most plants (all but the rajah baby), it seems to be a one leaf deal. Just pretty disappointing to not get a new hamata or jacquelineae pitcher for a while...
sad.gif

Well certainly want to do several things.

Keep an eye on problem spots already identified. If the affected areas continue to expand then there is a more serious problem.

Keep an eye on the rest of the plants and currently unaffected areas. If new problem areas pop up then there is a very serious problem.

Potential fixes..
Remove affected areas if they continue to expand.
Possible chemical treatment if new areas continue to pop up which most likely indicates some pathogen.
Slight change in environment.. increased air movement or a drop in humidity or something.

Tony

Ok, I will do that... I am really ring hard to figure out what it is that would affect Sphagnum and Neps... The sphagnum that is affected is all white and got a little more limp. Almost looks lke mashed potatoes. I think I will try to reduce humidity first and foremost. Then if something else happens, plan accordingly. I'll keep you updated!

I dont know about cp's, but in hortaculture the normal practace is to remove and burn all deseased leaves and such to prevent the disease from spreading and the birning would be destroying any spores on or developing on the infected leaf. And steralize all equipment that has touched infected areas

Sounds like stagnant conditions to me. Neps need good airflow particularly highland plants esp, in the day. Overheating and overly humid tanks invite fungus to move in and plant cells to wither. Try venting and increased aircirculation with cool fresh air.

Ok,
That's good to know Dustin! I did open up the air vents on the Growchamber a tiny bit more... I'm just disappointed I didn't quite do it in time for all of the tendrils, etc.
sad.gif
Do you think the jacquelineae pitcher will still swell with a "burned" lid? At least the plants will be fine! THANKS AGAIN!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Once a tendril gets infected/damaged it goes out pretty quickly. If you get a rotted tendril it will rapidly break down due to the fact it is very young and new, soft plant tissue.

Update: Just got home, the prognosis is not good... Photos will soon follow. I just can't figure out what's wrong...
sad.gif

Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif

Damage on Heliamphora!?

bad1.jpg

Rajah leaf:

bad2.jpg

Sphagnum/rajah basal rosette

bad3.jpg

More of that:
bad4.jpg

Rajah from above/hamata tendril:

bad5.jpg

Inermis:

bad6.jpg

All of the trimmings:

bad7.jpg

Closeup of trimmings:

bad8.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality, but I took these quickly to ensure that I could trim them as soon as possible.

I'd say its too warm and too humid. Warm temps and lots of humidity for highlanders equals a good cahnce of rot. What are your temp ranges for day and night?

Thats my opinion.

Hmmm, looks like temp, or fluctuating humidity to me... or stagnent water and root rot. All of which can cause food/water flow to cells to be reduced and cause a burn look. If your sphagnum is decaying, I would start by pitching it and replanting the plant in the scuzzy stuff. Otherwise, just flush all you're pots, dry out the whole container, then put everyone back in and use fresh water to ensure proper conditions and such.

Back