What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes in  growing in bathroom?

Hello i am wondering if my bathroom would be good place to grow a nepenthes in a hanging basket on a hook. Right were the hook is there is great light because the sun shines through the sky light making it nice and bright. Also whenever someone gets a shower the bathroom is very humid and the humidity seems to stay up top against the ceiling. Do you think this is ok to grow a nepenthes at? What i wondered was the fact that the humidity that was in there would be regular water and i dont know how it would hurt it. Though i could water it with rain water or distilled. Let me know what you think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (carnivorkid @ Mar. 18 2004,20:54)]What i wondered was the fact that the humidity that was in there would be regular water and i dont know how it would hurt it. Though i could water it with rain water or distilled. Let me know what you think.
Carnivorkid,
If I understand this part of your question right, your asking if the humidity from the shower will be ok for your plants. Your worried that it might not be OK because it is steam from tap water. Did I get that right? If so, then you can relax on that problem. While some of the steam may contain minerals from tap water the majority of it won't. So it won't bother your Neps. You will still need to water them regularly though with pure water.

As to whether the bathroom would be a good place for your plant that depends on a lot of things. What kind of Nepenthes is it? How much or how long will it be able to get light from the skylight? How much of that is direct sunlight and how much is indirect sunlight? There's probably a few other questions I haven't thought of but these will help the Nep pros on this forum to give you more advise.

smile.gif

BCK

I say go for it! Worst case it doesn't pitcher very much. Just pick a good, hardy nep that's appropriate for the temperatures and it'll work! Try a N. x ventrata! They're cheap and bullet proof.

Capslock

Worth a try if you have a spare hardy plant. I would actually be more concerned with the light level. I am guessing it is bright but the sun doesn't shine directly in one spot for very long so the plant would be only receiving bright indirect light most of the day.

T

Once water evaporates it's pure again so yah, sounds like a great spot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Mar. 19 2004,06:45)]Once water evaporates it's pure again so yah, sounds like a great spot.
chlorine evaporaes
rock.gif

Bigcarnivor kid , Yes you did get what i was saying correctly. I have been viewing the temps and it seems good for a lowland probably. Also what worries me about this is the lighting problem in which i am checking out.

Back