What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emergency Bical Nep.

I have a bicalcarata Nep. and I just transfered it to a larger tank set-up. I also have four other low land neps in the same tank. But only my bic has started to get brown spots on the oldest leaves but the traps are still in good shape even the lids are healthy. The only change is that it is a larger set up and I have added 1 more two tube 4 foot fixture for a total of 4 bulbs 4 feet. over the tank about 7 to 8 inchs above the plants. It is picturing but I just want to know what is going on with the leaves. I just recently put some holes in the top for air flow maybe that will help. Temp 66 F
min. with a 75 F max. It will get warmer as it is near a south facing window when summer hits. They are not sitting in water and are watered through once weekly. There are also new leaves forming and I think the spots might show up here as well. What should I do and should I be worried.

Could be a couple of things....like "sunburn," since you just added lights....New leaves should be tougher if that's it. Also, 75 seems a little cool (and 66 definatly) for a bical...They like it HOT and HUMID...and they're kinda picky about that.

That said, it just might be a reaction to the new set up. Even when moved to better conditions, neps sometimes need an adjustment period.

Also, you say on the oldest leaves....How old are these leaves? Leaves don't last forever, and will eventually die off no matter how perfect the conditions. The best thing to help us help you is to get us a picture.

I agree with Schloaty. your temps are a little "intermediate" for bical in the long run. They'll take surprisingly cool nights and grow nicely, as long as the days are hot, like 85 to 90 F. Of course, humidity must remain high both day and night.

Trent

Don't worry about it. My bical had a bunch of old leaves that had really ugly looking red/brown spots on them, and those leaves died. But the pitchers and current leaves are healthy and the plant is happy.
smile.gif

Back