What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heres my nepenthes, does it look healthy?

hey dont mind the black spots, they have been there since it was sent to me by mail and havent grown since a few weeks after, now its been winter as you well know, and last 3 leaves haev no pitchers on them:
1- does that mean their unhealthy or normal for winter?
2- will pitchers grow on those 3 leaves later or no?
3- it looks healthy right? so i can expect my next few leaves to have pitchers?
4- i fed them bugs is it ok if i have to push them down into the pitcher? i mean they are small and fit easily into pitcher but they are those flat grey ones so i have to push them down a little bit because they get stuck is that ok ?
heres the link
www.angelfire.com/games3/raw__blood/picture.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bignaturalbrock @ Mar. 27 2004,12:04)]hey dont mind the black spots, they have been there since it was sent to me by mail and havent grown since a few weeks after, now its been winter as you well know, and last 3 leaves haev no pitchers on them:
1- does that mean their unhealthy or normal for winter?
2- will pitchers grow on those 3 leaves later or no?
3- it looks healthy right? so i can expect my next few leaves to have pitchers?
4- i fed them bugs is it ok if i have to push them down into the pitcher? i mean they are small and fit easily into pitcher but they are those flat grey ones so i have to push them down a little bit because they get stuck is that ok ?
1. It takes time for a new plant to settle into it's new home before it starts making pitchers. This could be the reason.

2. Maybe .. maybe not. It depends how 'ideal' the growing area is for the plant in question.

3. No clue.. I don't see a plant.
3b. Maybe.. maybe not (also see answer to 1). Once the plant is settled in, pitcher production will depend on the growing conditions and if they are right for pitcher growth. Healthy leaves are a good start but does not mean it will necessarily make pitchers.

4. Try and find something smaller if it doesn't fit easily. You may damage the traps by forcing them OR may be putting too much food in which will rot the trap.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 27 2004,12:29)]1. It takes time for a new plant to settle into it's new home before it starts making pitchers. This could be the reason.

2. Maybe .. maybe not. It depends how 'ideal' the growing area is for the plant in question.

3. No clue.. I don't see a plant.
3b. Maybe.. maybe not (also see answer to 1). Once the plant is settled in, pitcher production will depend on the growing conditions and if they are right for pitcher growth. Healthy leaves are a good start but does not mean it will necessarily make pitchers.

4. Try and find something smaller if it doesn't fit easily. You may damage the traps by forcing them OR may be putting too much food in which will rot the trap.

Tony
-alright, i am pretty sure i have had new pitchers grow since i got it
-whats the ideal growing area for an n.madagascar?
-sorry i edit and now the link is there,
-what i meant by forcing them is, these bugs are like flat and when they stick their legs out they seem bigger than they are and wont go in, but when i push them in with a toohpick (its not like bending the pitcher or nothing) they fall right in and many more could fit in the pitchers belly, i will try ants in the future, but its still seasonly cold out here

well when i click on the link it's not showing anything. but i believe your plant is fine. it will take a while for a new pitcher to grow i believe

those black spots under the leaves are most likely nectar glands

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 29 2004,5:47)]those black spots under the leaves are most likely nectar glands
nectar glands ?!
rock.gif

what the ??
rock.gif
sad.gif
what are those !? ?!

From your picture it is awfully difficult to make an assessment of your plant.  I agree with Tony.  From what you said it sounds like you haven't had the plant very long.  In ideal conditions it can still take roughly a month for a new plant to adjust and begin to grow new pitchers.  

But on the other hand we still need more info about your growing conditions.

i.e.

What is the light source's light output?  -wattage-
What is the relative humidity around the plant?
What is the day and night temperature?
What kind of air circulation do you have?

Just stuff like that.  If you answer those questions and your conditions seem applicable to a N. Madagascariensis, than Tony is absolutely right and you just have to wait a bit.  
biggrin.gif

ive had it for about a year and i beleive night and day conditions are stable as its near a new window sealed and all and in the furnace room so its warm but near window and in its own terrarium.... um air circulation is just a little bit and light source is window......

Back