What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

triming my nepenthes / how to root?

Ok i have a nepenthes well its a mirabilis but its getting very tall and skinny and also it has no pitchers but i am working on that part. but it probably could be cut in half leaving a 5 inch piece plus about a 5 inch cutting. does this help in getting the leaves and pitchers to hang down from the plant and to make a full more bushy plant. will i get any shoots out of the bottom portion of the plant. should i use rooting powder for the cuttings and where should the cuttings be stored during rooting? sorry for so many questions

If you cut the main stem, normally basal shoots should pop out as well as side buds.

About the cutting; I don't use rooting hormone at all. I have 6 attempts and all were successful. Normally I place the plants in humid and well lite place.

Ok thanks. Now i need to think of the most humid and well lit area in my house . I could try my heated and enclosed terrarium.

Hi CK,
For cuttings, I usually seal them in a zip lock baggie. That ensures a 100% humidity.

yeah your right
biggrin.gif

Back