What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf Cuttings?

Hey everyone, I saw some guy on the Internet saying that he had a Nep. Leaf cutting, How do you take leaf cuttings on a nep? Just curious

It's impossible to root a "leaf" of a Nepenthes plant, the leaf lacks the genetic capability to reproduce roots. On the other hand he may have been reffering to "I rooted a ONE - LEAFED section or one - leafed NODE"

Okay
smile.gif

Theoretically ANY ! cell of a plant or even animal can become a WHOLE new plant or animal if given proper conditions! I`ve heard of succes on nep leaf cuttings but I`ve never seen a pic of one.

I doubt that highly. I agree with your theory however, but it is just impractical to reproduce a Nepenthes that way. Most plants actually do not reproduce from leaf cuttings further more. Leafes themselves are simply a photosynthetic receptor of the plant, not a re generative part, the stem on the otherhand is more of the "emergency" clone generator, in which case the main plant gets injured and the stem lands in a positive condition, it will regenerate.

EDIT: another thought, about you hearing success about the leaf cutting....was it the actual leaf or was it a leaf with some stem attached?

The book just said to pluck a leaf and bury it in sphag. I don`t think it would work very well either I was just saying it was POSSIBLE.

Back