What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

male or Female

how do you tell which one is female and which one is male?

You can only tell from the flower. If you can get access to "Savage Garden" , it should show a pic in there. Otherwise there are various pics here if you search foar enough.

Regards,

Joe

Like Joe said, gotta wait for the flowers to open up. Males will release pollen and females will have the greenish colored and sticky stigmas with the ovary.

:p bummer isn't it? Personally, I'm always tempted to do a chromosome squash on all of mine, lol!

Don't be mistreating Nepenthes flowers that way Darcie!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ April 01 2004,8:58)]Personally, I'm always tempted to do a chromosome squash on all of mine, lol!
You can't karyotype plants as they do not have sex chromosomes. The "sex" of a plant is determined by hormone signals, which is why you can actually change a female Nep to a male (using GA3) and a male Nep to a female (can't remember what that chemical is at the moment.)

Wow... instant sex change for Neps. Didn't know that!
wow.gif

Cool so you can change there gender? That is realy neat!

Back