Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windowsill Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else growing neps in windowsills? Here's a N. ventricosa that I bought at the hardware store about 6 months ago tops, when it was pretty small:

And now here it is today:

This window gets almost no sun, maybe an hour at an oblique angle, and all I'm using is a desklamp with a compact fluorescent bulb (20 watt?) for extra light. No only is the ventricosa growing (as well as the scaggly vine that is my N. hirsuta x veitchii in there), but so is a D. capensis "alba". And this was pretty much over the winter! Who said you need expensive setups

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow N. khasiana x ventricosa and N. ventrata in hanging baskets in a south facing sliding glass door. I'm surprised at how well they have adapted to low humidity. They pitcher all the time.
    When I redo my CP page on my website later this summer I will post pictures of them.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOw! thats really neat!

i like how you did that set up alot!,

how do you get the ventrosicas pitchers so big? ive said this in other threads , my pitchers are about the size of yours but the plant itself is about twice as tal with only 2 old pitchers that are goiung and 2 new ones coming which are smaller than before, the pitcher seems like it delays itself when the leaf opens for a while, the new pitchers that are forming are 3-4 leaves uinder the growth point, strange

but i like your set up alot! its very neat looking!
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang,..... just looking over the pictures again, thats very nice! did i already say that??

i like that ALOT,

i am curious to know how you grow them? besides the lighting,.. and where did you get that basket from? very cool!!!
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an awsome setup, Capslock! I have been too much of a chicken to try any of my nepenthes outside of their chambers. Maybe you will inspire me to try something new this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try that. It seems to be a good idea growing hardy sundews together with neps. The dew tends to dry up as humidity falls. It can be used as an early indicator for the growing conditions of the neps. Kind of like the idea of canery's in a mine shaft as an early indicator for poison gas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lighting is that low, eh? Huh. I have some neps on a grow rack (not in a tank, just out in the open) under some flour. tubes....well, I don't have much window space, anyway.
    Anyhow, I have ventricosa x truncata and eustachya (red x purple) on the shelf. The vent x trunc is doing better, but they're both doing well. They're deck bound as soon as the weather turns nice so they can catch up with each other over a bite to eat!

edit: oh, yeah! Very nice set up, by the way!

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,
    I do like that pot you have them growing in.

Here is a picture of the one's I grow. I drilled hooks in the ceiling to hang the baskets from.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast