What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was doing a bit of work in the greenhouse today, and thought I'd capture a few images of some of the things which caught my eye. Please pardon the relatively poor quality of these photos; many of them have very limited depth of field, and the lighting was not the best, either!

This is an N. aristolochioides lower pitcher, between 7 and 8 cm tall. The coloration on these babies is nice!
Naristolochioides.jpg

Here is an image of an upper pitcher of N. dubia. It has not yet completely finished opening.
Ndubia2.jpg

Here, we have a nice lower pitcher of N. ephippiata. This is
one of my favorite species, and the uppers are even better
than the lowers!
Nephippiata.jpg

One of the most ethereal pitchers, in my opinion, is the upper pitcher of N. glabrata, seen here. This one is about 10 cm tall.
NglabrataUpper.jpg

Here's a shot of a nice form of N. gymnamphora:
Ngymnamphora.jpg

Here are a few more:

Here's something really cool! One of my N. hamata recently flowered. Notice the compact distribution of the flowers!
NhamataFlowers.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of N. lowii uppers. The first is a picture of a nice upper from a clone found on G. Mulu; the other features a shot of a clone from G. Kinabalu. Note that the first pitcher has not yet finished opening.
NlowiiMulu.jpg

NlowiiKinabalu.jpg

This image features a small lower pitcher of a mottled form of the recently discovered N. mirabilis var. Rowanae:
NmirabilisVar.jpg

N. pilosa is a very pretty plant, and here it is:
Npilosa.jpg

A new N. platychila pitcher has opened. The peristome of successive pitchers is increasing in width.

Nplaychila.jpg

Here are a couple of fairly pretty varieties of N. veitchii:
NveitchiiStriped.jpg

Nveitchii.jpg

Finally, here is an image of a lower pitcher of N. vogelii:
NvogeliiLower.jpg

One word..

WOW
wow.gif

The N. platychila looks awesome. How big is the plant?

Really, really great! I love all of them! That N. playtchila is my favorite, as is the N. ephippiata.

Is it settled that the "Rowanae" is a form of N. mirabilis and not it's own species?

Capslock

By the way, can I trade you somethin' for some N. Hamata seeds if you get any, I'd trade you a VFT or Purpurea

I love this forum =)

Absolutely stunning plants, and great photos!

Are you kidding that those photos aren't very good? They are incredible! Absolutely breathtaking!
wow.gif
Very nice, I always love seeing your pictures!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 03 2004,8:13)]By the way, can I trade you somethin' for some N. Hamata seeds if you get any, I'd trade you a VFT or Purpurea
Please don't make replys like this to these types of threads. Folks are posting pictures of their prize plants to share them with others. Not to receive requests from folks wanting to get something from them. If they should happen to have something to offer I am sure it would be posted in the trade forum.
Thanks,
Tony

ps.. I think your also not realizing the years of growing and difficulty and expense to get a N. hamata to flower.

wow. All of those pictures and plants look so nice!!
wow.gif
good job
smile.gif

Great pictures

Thanks for all your kind words regarding the pictures! I love this genus, and it is a pleasure to be able to share a few images now and again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The N. platychila looks awesome. How big is the plant?

It's a mature specimen. I have not measured it, but would say that the vine is 15 to 20 cm long. It's a very easy plant to grow, and fairly rapid, too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it settled that the "Rowanae" is a form of N. mirabilis and not its own species?

Honestly, I don't know. I've only ever heard it referred to as N. mirabilis var. Rowanae.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you kidding that those photos aren't very good?

Actually, no, I think that most of the photos are not very good. The space in which I grow many of my plants is very limited, and it is therefore often difficult to get a good shot lined up, good lighting, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] If they should happen to have something to offer I am sure it would be posted in the trade forum.

Thanks, Tony!

BTW, if it's not evident from the photograph, the difference between clones of N. lowii from different locations is significant. I have several from G. Trusmadi, and they differ noticeably from the clones from G. Kinabalu or G. Mulu, especially regarding the form of the upper pitchers. Now, I've not seen this species in the wild, and therefore cannot comment on the variation within individual populations. Perhaps others who have seen wild populations of this species would care to comment?

Thanks, Capslock! I've seen it, but I appreciate you pointing it out.

Hey, no problem! I appreciate your enthusiasm!

Neps.....I....I...I.....WOW!!
wow.gif

Stunning! Breathtaking! Stupendous! Magnificent! Now on to the second picture....LOL. Seriously, that's some great photography. You're neps are real gems. I only hope to get my aristolochioides to be 8 cm! How long did it take you to grow it to that size?
That platychilla is really cool, too. Is it related to jacquelenae? They have similarly shaped pitchers.
Thanks for sharing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I think your also not realizing the years of growing and difficulty and expense to get a N. hamata to flower.

Hear! Hear!  What an amazing collection  
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I only hope to get my aristolochioides to be 8 cm! How long did it take you to grow it to that size?
That platychilla is really cool, too. Is it related to jacquelenae? They have similarly shaped pitchers.
Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

The N. aristolochioides has been growing for a couple of years.

I don't know about any relationship between N. jacquelinea and N. platychila, and think any direct relationship is very unlikely, for if I'm not mistaken, they're from very divergent locations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hear! Hear! What an amazing collection

Thanks, Rob! Considering your expertise, that's high praise indeed!
smile.gif
BTW, have you any observations concerning variations among populations of N. lowii from different areas? I'm very interested to hear what you might have to say about this, for you've had the chance to see them in the wild....

Back