What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiders Nest

i was out feeding my neps with some milk, and i turned the truncata pitcher and i spotted a spider with a nest right under the lid!

i took a photo, but it didnt come out too well, i outlined whre the spider was and the nest, still pretty cool

Apr07536.sized.jpg

cool, I hope one day it gets baby spiders and then they all fall down into the pitcher.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Stephano,

I have been amazed at the number of spiders I'd have set up webs in pitchers, on the plants and in my glasshouse.

The only ones I tend to remove are those in the pitchers, though I don't think they do any harm as there are still plenty of bugs getting past them and into the pitchers.

Just a note on the picture, if you don’t have a macro function on that camera take the photo  form further back so that the subject is in focus, then zoom in and crop using whatever software you have for editing photos.  You may loose some detail but the subject will be in focus.

Aaron.

Ill try that tommorow, as soon as i loaded the picture it was already dark, im pretty sure shell still be there tomm, there will be beter lighting to, heh

it does have macro, in the photo u can see that the base of the truncata is alot clearer, its just i dont know how far back to go, ...

the spiders are smart because they make webs aroudn the neps leaves and stuff, and what does the neps attract? insects, so the spider i guess temporarily 'lives' off the nepenthes stealing its insects by creating webs around the plant so the insect goes there first, lol

i remember Tony posting a photo up here somewher, a very clear shot of a spider with a web under the lid of a nepenthes

Back