Thread: Calcium and Lime

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okey Dokey,
    I know that they grow in lime and mineral etc...in the wild. How does this work out in cultivation? Should I add lime and or calcium? If they are a mineral native (so to speak) does municipal become ok to use. I have horticultural chunk grade lime and calcium such as shell or something similar are easy to find. What's the deal?

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, i recently purchased a Northiana not too long ago, im growing it in 100 LFS and its put out a brand new pitcher and ready to un-furl a new leaf, there WAS another pitcher forming but the #### thing broke off, word of advice, if and when you get yours and it thrusts a tendril down into the medium, dont pull it out
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Suck, yeah I did that with a different one. OOOps oh well it survived and I learned a lesson.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 09 2004,4:29)]I know that they grow in lime and mineral etc...in the wild.
    N. northiana does not grow in alkaline mineral rich soil full of calcium. It grows in peaty soil composed of decayed vegetation. Quite mineral free and deffinately acidic!

Now if I could put some negative highlighter on everyone's Savage Garden where it says to avoid peat and grow it in alkaline soil, MAYBE this nonsense will go away.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! I also read @ wistuba that it is from lime cliff faces and such along with tentaculata, and like 8 others (I dont remember). I trust that you would know, Tony. Although I wonder why other commercial growers say otherwise.

Anyways, grow the same as my other lowlanders. 100%LFS hot & humid.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limestone cliff faces yes.. this does not translate into the plants growing in calcium rich soil. The high amount of rainfall and acidic nature of decomposing plant matter dissolve calcium fairly quickly where it accumulates into pockets of soil.

The key to N. northiana is high humidity and steady warm temperature and moderate light.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much help Tony, Thanks
    I can do that!
    Good luck Stefano1

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps and Swords both have really large healthy N. northiana and can give you some pointers I am sure. You can also check out Neps information on N. northiana under his cultivation list at Plantswithattitude.com

Unfortunately I just don't have the space to really grow a nice specimen properly.. but it sure is one of the most striking species.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast