Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. rajah, outdoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been toying with the idea of growing a N. rajah outdoors here in San Franisco for a while, and finally got the guts. The light seems right where it is, and the temperatures and humidity are generally in the right range. Here it is (thanks Tony!), and that's a D. spatulata I put in the front corner. I really hope this works!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know until you try. I want to try growing outdoors here in Omaha,NE. Griffin says that it dont work (if I remember right), but if acclimated right it should. Avrg. temp in summer mid 90's with 90+ humididty. Thats about as lowland as it gets. I have no greenhouse.

Any way, its always cool when something out of the ordinary will grow in your area.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW nice basket! Is it one of those "orchid" crate lookin things. A companion is good.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of struggling with this species.. I have determined that they like to eat...ALOT!

Look forward to progress reports as the plant settles in and starts making new growth.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're growing them outdoors in a field just like rows of potatoes and have found to our amazement that the results have been far better than we ever achieved in the nursery. I'm not sure if it's because there is more room for the roots to spread out sideways or whether because of natural prey, ore perhaps both. Anyway, good luck Capslock!
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Franisco has great temps for out door cultivation i dont think at all you would have a problem. Good luck looks great!

: Electric Carnivores :
    http://Geocities.com/southerntropicals

http://www.geocities.com/southerntro...rewstsmall.jpg
    Welcome to S O U T H E R N T R O P I C A L S the nepenthes and heliamphora garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Borneo @ April 09 2004,10:45)]

We're growing them outdoors in a field just like rows of potatoes and have found to our amazement that the results have been far better than we ever achieved in the nursery. I'm not sure if it's because there is more room for the roots to spread out sideways or whether because of natural prey, ore perhaps both. Anyway, good luck Capslock!
    thats interesting, im assuming by you saying for their roots to spread out farther that they are not in pots and that that they arnt for sale?
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right, they're just planted out in the ground, no special media. Actually they aren't for sale because of the risks of infestation by pests such as nematodes. It's an interesting experiment though and the results are surprising me very much.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast