What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotting Neps!

Hi,
Recently I posted a message on my recently aquired N. ovata.
Here is a current photo of it
sad.gif

ovata.jpg

As it is still green at the base and there is now the smallest sign of the leaf unfurling I am leaving it as it is. I have repotted it and the roots seemed okay. Is there anything else you would advise?

More worrying at the moment is my new N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana. This as you can see is rotting at the base. I had already removed a few leaves that were rotten at the stem end. Since I took this photo I have lopped off all this growth and cut what is left of the stem till it not showing any more brown. This does not leave very much
rock.gif

I have sprayed the plant (whats left of it) with a fungicide as well. It did have roots when I repotted after first seeing this rot. Anything else I could try to save it?

bxe.jpg

cheers

bill

Hi Bill,

from the pictures I would think that the N. ovata has good chances to survive. I would wait few more weeks before acting. If the leaf unfurles during this time the plant will be OK on its own. If not I would carefully peel the damaged leaf apart without damaging the new one inside. (did this few times with plants which had massive mite damage)

The N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana is already black at the base of the newest developing leaf. From my experience there is no chance for this plant to survive. MT normally is very kind in replacing plants which die after shipping, so you might send them this picture.

Cheers Joachim

Is your humidity too high? What about air movement?

Joachim summed it up nicely. The N. ovata got a little damage or something in the tip of the new leaf. As long as the black does not progress further then it should be fine but keep a close eye on it incase you feel the need to remove the tip of that unfurling leaf. The other plant must have gotten some infection down in the stem/roots. Usually the way these things progress up the stem via the vascular system hence the browning in the leaf veins before the rest of the leaf. Little you can do at this point. I would also suggest contacting MT. They have a good policy about replacements.... Such is the nature of buying plants from overseas.

Tony

Thanks everyone for your views.
I will contact MT and send them a copy of the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana photo. I had been more concerned over the ovata, but them the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana overtook it!

I have reasonable but not excessive humidity and good ventilation in my Highland house.

cheers

bill

Hey, one of the new basal shoots from my ventosica is happening with picture 1, i have no idea what is wrong , the main mother plant is growing nicely, tomm morning if the black at the tip of the tendril went any farther down to the growth point off it goes,

Back