Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes of genting highlands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choong,

In a past PM, We decided it was unfeasable to mail seed from you to the US because of regulations(protected in Malaysia, correct?). I assume the German's had some form of permision to collect seed?
    The pics were fantastic! I have asked this for years: Why is the one you noted as the most common form of N. sanguinea available(you are right about that), well, the most common one? Why can't somebody get those ginat red beauties into tc? The only person I have ever seen offer them for sale is Geoff Mansell, and very rarely.
    Oh, I never knew that N. ramispina could be a cliff grower like that. That is really cool.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great photos...
    / Tomas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ April 13 2004,10:23)]Great pics. I really like the N. ramispina. Are they available here in the U.S.?
    Anybody got them for sale or trade?
    N. ramispina is available and not overly expensive. Not sure how well it would do Florida though.

Fantastic pics! Really neat to see them clinging to the rock like that

Griffin there are red/purple N. sanguinea around. Unfortunately as you mention the best bet for getting one is by cutting of a known plant.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wouldn't happen to have a cutting of one, would you, Tony?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the many compliments.

First, I would appeal to the administrator of this forum to remove the restriction on the number of photos a writer can put in his article. If I can bypass the restriction by adding photos as replies, then why bother! Besides, if a writer goes to the trouble to take photos, have them scanned (if he doesn't own a digital camera) and edited, and then uploaded to photo storage site, surely this guy deserves to be seen or heard.

I am glad you enjoyed the photos. I too enjoyed the many articles and photos you guys put out. By showing plants in their natural habitat, you can appreciate how the plants live and maybe will help you in your growing of the plants. For example, there is the perennial debate as to whether the neps will benefit from fertilizer and rich soil. Well, if you look at the organic matters trapped around the plants, I am sure the plants do benefit from the decaying matters.

Yes, snowfalcon I did get my cephalotus. They sent me one by express mail. I am surprised that the custom did not open the very well packed parcel. I am sure the Australian or the US custom will not miss it with their scanners.

If you like the N.ramispina from the photos, wait until you see some of the actual black beauties growing in the wild. Some I estimated to be between 15 to 20 cm tall. Even my wife was awed by their beauty.

Well Joe (The Griffin), I think there is a misunderstanding about sending of seeds. There is no ban on them from our Malaysian government, after all these nepenthes are not listed as endangered species. My concern is at your end.

As to why they don't sell you those big red beauties (sanguinea), my guess is, it has to do with the luck in the collection of seeds. I was told TC can only be propagated thru seeds. As you see, we went thru two sites with well over few hundreds N. sanguinea and only managed to collect from one plant! That is why N. klossii is still not available in the market. Besides, the red variety is scarcer.

Overall, I enjoyed showing the duo this part of my country. It is international camaraderie. In Guenter and Sven, I realised that I am not crazy afterall. They are like me, a familyman, who have to spend the free time with their wives, kids and nepenthes.

Choong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of mailing seeds, is that there is no problem unless it's N. rajah or N. khasiana. This is via communication with one of the USDA guys that investigated me.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really??.... Anyone willing to stick their neck out for a trial run?

SF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast