Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicalcarata humidity damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be from a different area.. hard to say. The pictures from MT are misleading because the one is from a large mature red one and the other is from a small seedling (sri Aman). N. bicalcarata does tend to have taller, narrower pitchers when young.

T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, when we had the Rocky Mnt CP Society, we had a sale and exhibit at a butterfly pavillion. Rich Ellis brought a large bical. He misted it often and may have even had a humidifier turned on it. It still suffered this kind of damage(maybe not as bad) and took months to recover. That was for five hours outside of his grow chamber.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell how big your plant is or how large the pitchers in question are but if it's young and small 5-8" diameter and 1-2" pitchers that's not a surprising way for it to look (other than the dessication that is).

However, if your plant is getting near 12" in diameter and still looks like that then I would say your lighting is probably too low as that will cause the plant to have large weak leaves and juvenile sized/shaped pitchers. At 10-12" in diameter (6" leaves) my N. bicals had 3-4" adult shaped/colored pitchers but mine are also growing directly under 240 Watts of fluorescent lighting and 400W metal halide respectively.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. bicalcarata is more sensitive to sudden drops in humidity than any other Nepenthes I know, especially if it has been grown under soft conditions.

Regarding the form, the Sri Aman form looks to me very much like a form that we have been weeding out of our lab clones here. I believe it to be N. bicalcarata x (bicalcarata x gracilis). If I'm right about your plant then the leaves will be a little narrower than is usual for N. bicalcarata. I do agree though that the pitchers are longer when immature but the shape of the pitcher and the narrowness of the mouth look just like the hybrid mentioned above.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Mr Cantley: Have you heard anything about Malesiana Tropicals mistakenly distributing bicalcarata hybrids as N.bicalcarata? I purchased the plant in 2002. Or are you not implying that mine might be a hybrid?

Thanks,
    Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pat,
    My bicalcarata kept on making the thin elongated pitchers you're seeing, until it hit 9" diameter and it put out a beatiful fanged pitcher.

I had a similar though milder form of the blackening happen all my bicalcs. I was spraying them with some miticide, and then left them for 1/2 hour or so to dry. All the small pitchers blackened at the top.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my 1.5 year old bical. It survived our cool (as low as fifty degrees), dry, windy winter and a recent re-potting to a very large pot. That could be a mistake...how big is this thing going to get?
    Bruised and battered, it has survived. The leaves are five inches and the three pitcher are typically fat but only about 1.5 inches.

Not a particularly interesting pic but it gives you an idea that it is a short squat little guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I feel a little silly. The newest pitcher opened while I was away for the last day or two, and it looks quite a bit more squat. I'll post a pic later when I'm feeling better.

See ya,
    Pat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast