Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicalcarata humidity damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I left my lowland plants in my room outside of their terrarium for about 24 hours, and most of them survived fine. The rafflesiana pitchers look a little dessicated, but the plant is fine. I turned the heater on so my room was about 85 degrees, but I didn't think to mist (doh). Check out how temperamental my bicalcarata was:

Ouch...

The reason I'm posting about the bical, is I'm curious why mine looks so different. Its not squat and bulbous like other ones I have seen, its mostly thin and cylindrical (although a little more squat now). Is it because it's not mature? Do other people have young bicals that look like this? I haven't ever seen any pics like mine. Here is a shot of one of the pitchers:

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Pat

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bical is very small but the pitchers so far are closer to long than squat. Sorry I have no pics though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's OK.. Does it look like mine?

Pat

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes....very much so. Perhaps like me, it gets fatter as it gets older.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I thought it was a bicalcarata X gracilis or a bical X mirabilis (Don't know whether that exists...), but after I saw the close up, I can tell you thats definetely a bical (looks like mine, only that mine's drying up looks 'dead' now...please see page 3 of the boards to see whether you can help...nooo...

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perishing by de second...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, Pat! That's just 24 hours of lower humidity? Could you hazzard a guess as to just how low the humidity was? I mean, was your room THAT dry?
    On your other question, what is the diameter of the plant? I have one that's maybe 5", and the pitchers are already getting squat. The first couple were a little elongated, but nothing like that. Does your plant have fangs? If not, it may be a hybrid. If it does have fangs, it's surely a bical, as the fangs (to my knowledge) never show up in bical hybrids.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My room is pretty dry... The humidity meter says 40% right now, but who knows how accurate those things are.

The diameter of the plant is eight inches. You can't see the fangs because the humidity made the lid curl down. Here is an older picture with fangs exposed:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/trashcan/images/n_bicalcarata.jpg[/img]

I bought the plant from MT a long time ago, and lost the label when I moved. I noticed they have two varieties for sale, so I was wondering if I had a different variety possibly than most people. Or just a poorly grown plant.

Check out the difference in the pictures shown for the two varieties on MT's site:
    Sri Aman:

Marudi:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast