Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. thorelli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

Here you go. The latest pics.

You'll note that the older leaves have coloured up quite a bit from the pics on my site and the new leaves are beginning to turn as they mature.

All of the open pitchers were already on the plant when I got it and you can also see the damage to the central vein on the leaves from the poor packing it received on its way to me.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got two different clones of thorelii, both from Geoff Mansell. Ours grow very happily in intermediate-highland conditions in winter, and lowland conditions during summer. The leaves are smooth textured with a very fine whitish fuzz. Both of our plants are very reddish in color, no doubt the result of selective breeding by the Mansells. When the pitchers first open the peristome is bright green, and turns red with age. The pitchers are a dark red-purple.
    Also, our "kampotiana" is pitchering, and it too resembles thorelii, but has its differences also. I am now looking at this thing considering it as possibly a hybrid between thorelii and anamensis. It's a picky grower and seems to prefer a somewhat dryish condition. It is definitely not mirabilis like other Nep folks have implied. Personally, I think the Cambodian-Vietnam species need a bit more detailed taxonomic work.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deffinately needed taxonomic work is in order.

Aaron - I would keep it labelled as N. thorelii. It looks like similar to what I have seen as N. thorelii seedlings IMO.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ April 21 2004,6:26)]Joachim,
    Did you get a positive ID in the end on your plant? Any pics?

Hi Gus,
    Geoff says night cooling is OK. Interesting.
    Hi Aron,

I never did find out what this plant really was. Johannes Marabini, whom is quite good in identifying Nepenthes, was quite confident it was not N. thorelii.

Judging from the pictures you show i am quite confident it is the same species I grew. I have found an older slide of this plant, but I have no dia-scanner to bring it in the digital domain [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

My plant also grew very well under intermediate conditions and didn't suffer from cold nights during winter.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,
    The description of your Mansell clones certainly matches my one pictured above, right down to the white fuzz and peristome colouration.

Tony/Joachim,
    Looks like I will leave it as is for now and see how it turns out upon maturing.
    It certaily seems that a 100% ID ain't going to happen any time soon based on the varying opionions and experiences, but that's OK.

I might actually email the growers and see what they think, or if they can add any further info.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I might add an update as my Thorellis is looking even better now.

Firstly, the growers were unable to add any light to the heritage of the plant, so no extra confirmation that it is what it is claimed to be.

Secondly, with Autumn (Fall) nearing its end I finally took the 50% shade cloth of my glasshouse. Basically the Neps let me know they were not getting enough light as growth had really slowed in some and colouration was reducing.

The shade cloth came off and a lining of bubble wrap went on (inside to diffuse direct sunlight and insulate against cold). This was only 2 weeks ago but already I am seeing growth improve. In hindsight I should have taken the shade cloth off a few months earlier I suspect.

Anyway.....

Here area few new pics of my Thorelli. The unopened pitcher from the last lot of photos is now fully opened and bigger than the previous (still colouring up though), there are 2 new leaves with pitchers swelling and a 3rd leaf unfurling. In addition, the leaves have become even more red/pink compared to the last photos.

The plant:

The last pitcher fully coloured up:

The newest pitcher (with newest Raff 'elongata' pitcher)

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juat wanted to rehash this old thread with a new photo to see what was thought based on it's appearance now.

As you can see its gone a little basal-crazy for some reason, but the pitchers are looking more mature than in the last photos I took.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron, it seems to be a feature of this thorelii-which-is-not-thorelii to produce basals early and readily. I have it, plus a few hybrids, all of which produced basals at a very early stage.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast