What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelli

I was wondering if those with N. thorelli experience could pass on their finding and /or pitchers.

I have a small n. thorelli that is growing quite rapidly given its small size and the fast looming Winter.

There's not a heck of a lot on the internet that I could fins but I'd like to get a better idea of the size I can expect the plant and pitchers to reach.

You can see my one here when I first received it:

N. thorelli

In the month that I have had it there is now 2x new pitchers and most of the plant and pitchers are turnig a deep pink colour.  I'll get a recent picture up ASAP.

Thanks,

Aaron.

The flood of responces
biggrin.gif
has reminded me of another factor I thought worth noting:

This is a lowlander and from all reports I have found grows in the 0-200m range.  

However, with the onset of Winter here in Melbourne my glashouse is more highland right now.  In fact I have had a few nights down to 5C (needless to say this is being quickly addressed with a new heater!) and days around the mid/hi 20's.  Yet, the thorelli has not skipped a beat and seems to be thriving in it.  Even more so than some of my highlands!?

Aaron.

Hi,

After looking at your pictures, I wonder if your plant is
really N. thorelii. You can find a picture of what most
people here in the US consider N. thorelii at my site
here.

In my experience, this species is very easy, and very tolerant
of high temperatures, even up to 33 C, as long as it is well
watered. I have never tried to grow it in a cool environment,
but I would guess that it would not like it! BTW, a well-grown
plant of this species can be stunning. It will produce multiple
shoots, and pitchers are long-lived. At times, my largest plant
has had over 35 healthy, functional pitchers on it, and at those
times it has been a sight to behold!

Neps,

Now you've thrown a spanner into the works ;-)

Not thorelli you reckon?  I had looked at the pictures on your site and figured that the lack of tendril (in my case at least) and differnt pitcher shape was due to the young age of my plant.  I'll take some closer pics as soon as the new pitcher opens and post back here to see what everyone thinks.

If not thorelli do you have a feeling for what you think it may be then?

The picture HERE seems closer to mine than yours.  Yet HERE seems closer to yours but with the shorter tendrils.  I also found THIS picture doing a Google search under 'thorelli' which looks exactly like mine.

The mystery deepens ;-)

Aaron.

Some new pics of the plant and of the pitchers would be helpful.  

Here is a picture of mine.  This is a small plant a few inches across...
NthoreliiCR.jpg

N. thorelii for me does extreamly poor unless grown in strict lowland conditions.

Tony

Note the wording of Jeff's comment:

You can find a picture of what most
people here in the US consider N. thorelii at my site

When I was at the 2000 ICPS Conference, I got to talk to Jan Schlauer briefly, and he said, that as far as he knew, nobody had the real N. thorelii in cultivation, that it looks a lot like N. rafflesiana.
I have only seen plants like Jeff's. Anybody seen anything like Jan would have been talking about(besides obviously N. rafflesiana)?

Regards,

Joe

Hi Aaron,

some years ago I got a plant labeled N. thorelli looking very similar to your plant from Andreas. I always suspected it being labeled wrong. It is definitely a fine plant which colours up nicely under good light levels: pitchers will be deep red. It was one of my easiest plants and always grew well in intermediate to highland conditions (I didn't grew it in lowland conditions).

Cheers Joachim

Hi Aaron,

Here are a few pictures of a plant which I grow as N. thorelli:

DSC01638.sized.jpg

thorellii.sized.jpg

I'm growing it indoors, so temperatures fluctuate between 50 on cooler nights and ~85 during the day on warmer days, though the usual temperature range is considerably smaller. The plants are growing a few inches from two flourescent bulbs in a humid terrarium.

Any thoughts on whether it is true species? The conditions are definetally not highland, yet the plant is doing well.

-noah

P.S. yes, I know there is a spelling error on the picture... please ignore it.
smile.gif
Thanks.

Hi all:

Regarding Thorelli, being the real thing in Australia or not, brings an interesting topic. I asked Geoff Mansell from exotica plants about thorelli growing conditions and he said, it does not mind cooling at night. I think he sells 4 types of thorelli and intraspecific hybrids. Perhaps we have a different viariety of thorelli?.Unfortunately, he only has a picture of an intraspecific hybrid.

http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/welcome....page=13

Gus

N. thorelii is correct.

That pitcher looks odd to me Noah. I have never seen one with a striped peristome.
Tony

Tony,
That's pretty close to what mine is now starting to look like both in pitcher shape and colouring.  Even down to the green peristome.

Joe,
Did I miss something in Jeff's comment?  You've lost me.
If it a Raff then I suppose only time will tell until the pitchers mature and show their true form. True?
Do young Raffs have little or no tendril when young? I'm only familiar with the older plants and pitchers.

One thing to note on my 'Thorelli' is that the leaves are very very thin.  Certainly nothing like any of the 3x slightly older Raffs that I have.  Is that to be expected of a young Raff as well?

Joachim,
Did you get a positive ID in the end on your plant?  Any pics?

Noah,
That's a nice little pitcher and not too dissimilar to mine other than that very long and thin tendril???
Plus that striping on the peristome seems a bit out of place.

Hi Gus,
Geoff says night cooling is OK.  Interesting.

I tell ya, the uncertainty can drive you nuts.

So it may or may not be Thorelli.
if it is it may or may not like some night cooling.

Well, for now I think I'll keep to what I'm doing and wait to see how it matures.

I get a current picture up in the next day or so.

Thanks everyone.

Aaron.

That's the first I have ever heard it is supposed to be more like N. rafflesiana. I would not try and compare to N. rafflesiana at this point...I find that hard to believe but who knows. Formal descriptions are hard to come by.

The leaves on mine are fuzzy and somewhat thick and fleshy. Judging by the picture of the plant when you got it I would say it was under low light and high humidity which would account for the color and thin floppyness of the leaves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would say it was under low light and high humidity which would account for the color and thin floppyness of the leaves.

Quite possible as I've been very surprises at how fast its colour changed on both the leaves and older pitchers. The new leaves also look a bit more firm as well.

Aaron.

Thanks Choong,
They look like what I am accustomed to seeing as N. thorelii.

Anyone know where the official species description is? I can't seem to come up with one.
Tony

Well, I was not trying to hint Aaron had N. rafflesiana. I apologize for the confusion. I was just recalling what Jan Schlauer had said. Nobody else has ever said anything like that before or since.
Maybe the TYPE specimen from when the plant was named looks really funky compared to what we all know.

Regards,

Joe

OK,

Here you go.  The latest pics.

You'll note that the older leaves have coloured up quite a bit from the pics on my site and the new leaves are beginning to turn as they mature.

mypic29.JPG

mypic30.JPG

All of the open pitchers were already on the plant when I got it and you can also see the damage to the central vein on the leaves from the poor packing it received on its way to me.

Aaron.

We've got two different clones of thorelii, both from Geoff Mansell. Ours grow very happily in intermediate-highland conditions in winter, and lowland conditions during summer. The leaves are smooth textured with a very fine whitish fuzz. Both of our plants are very reddish in color, no doubt the result of selective breeding by the Mansells. When the pitchers first open the peristome is bright green, and turns red with age. The pitchers are a dark red-purple.
Also, our "kampotiana" is pitchering, and it too resembles thorelii, but has its differences also. I am now looking at this thing considering it as possibly a hybrid between thorelii and anamensis. It's a picky grower and seems to prefer a somewhat dryish condition. It is definitely not mirabilis like other Nep folks have implied. Personally, I think the Cambodian-Vietnam species need a bit more detailed taxonomic work.

Trent

Deffinately needed taxonomic work is in order.

Aaron - I would keep it labelled as N. thorelii. It looks like similar to what I have seen as N. thorelii seedlings IMO.
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ April 21 2004,6:26)]Joachim,
Did you get a positive ID in the end on your plant? Any pics?

Hi Gus,
Geoff says night cooling is OK. Interesting.
Hi Aron,

I never did find out what this plant really was. Johannes Marabini, whom is quite good in identifying Nepenthes, was quite confident it was not N. thorelii.

Judging from the pictures you show i am quite confident it is the same species I grew. I have found an older slide of this plant, but I have no dia-scanner to bring it in the digital domain
sad.gif

My plant also grew very well under intermediate conditions and didn't suffer from cold nights during winter.

Cheers Joachim

Back