What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. thorelli

Trent,
The description of your Mansell clones certainly matches my one pictured above, right down to the white fuzz and peristome colouration.

Tony/Joachim,
Looks like I will leave it as is for now and see how it turns out upon maturing.
It certaily seems that a 100% ID ain't going to happen any time soon based on the varying opionions and experiences, but that's OK.

I might actually email the growers and see what they think, or if they can add any further info.

Aaron.

Thought I might add an update as my Thorellis is looking even better now.

Firstly, the growers were unable to add any light to the heritage of the plant, so no extra confirmation that it is what it is claimed to be.

Secondly, with Autumn (Fall) nearing its end I finally took the 50% shade cloth of my glasshouse.  Basically the Neps let me know they were not getting enough light as growth had really slowed in some and colouration was reducing.

The shade cloth came off and a lining of bubble wrap went on (inside to diffuse direct sunlight and insulate against cold).  This was only 2 weeks ago but already I am seeing growth improve.  In hindsight I should have taken the shade cloth off a few months earlier I suspect.

Anyway.....

Here area few new pics of my Thorelli.  The unopened pitcher from the last lot of photos is now fully opened and bigger than the previous (still colouring up though), there are 2 new leaves with pitchers swelling and a 3rd leaf unfurling.  In addition, the leaves have become even more red/pink compared to the last photos.

The plant:
mypic45.JPG

The last pitcher fully coloured up:
mypic46.JPG

The newest pitcher (with newest Raff 'elongata' pitcher)
mypic47.JPG

Aaron.

Juat wanted to rehash this old thread with a new photo to see what was thought based on it's appearance now.  

NThorelliPlant.jpg

As you can see its gone a little basal-crazy for some reason, but the pitchers are looking more mature than in the last photos I took.

Aaron.

Aaron, it seems to be a feature of this thorelii-which-is-not-thorelii to produce basals early and readily. I have it, plus a few hybrids, all of which produced basals at a very early stage.

Aaron and Hamish,
I believe the plant pictured would be considered anamensis or smilesii. We have two clones from the Mansell's, purchased as seedlings many years ago. They are the cross of N. thorelii'squat' x N. thorelii 'red'. Whatever they are, they are very attractive, and can be seen in the Nepenthes photo gallery on our website. We have both a male and female, and the female is the brute of the two, producing huge (for thorelii) fat traps with a somewhat flared perstome, reminding me of a N. rafflesiana spray painted red. Both produce ground shoots frequently, but very different from all the other thorelii I see in that they have very long, red tendrils, often snaking the tendrils horizontally across the pot and set up pitchers in their neighbor's container. On the long vines the tendrils can hang down 30 to 35 cm.
Have either of you any experience with Geoff's thorelii clone d-purple, bulbous?
By the way, Aaron, your plant reminds me very much of our N. kampotiana, which may be N. smilesii as well.
Anyone else have any comments?

Trent

Very beutiful plant Aaron! The coloring is very nice:)

Hi Aaron
It has come on loads since you first had it,looking good.Lovely colours on it.

Bye for now Julian

Sure has Julian.

We've had a few warm days this week and I'm sure its growth has accellerated even more. Just having a quick look tonight before the sun went down and I'm sure it looked to have more going on than in that picture above from just a few days ago. Would seem it is going to like the warmer weather a bit more.

Aaron.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ April 21 2004,8:56)]Some new pics of the plant and of the pitchers would be helpful.  

Here is a picture of mine.  This is a small plant a few inches across...
NthoreliiCR.jpg

N. thorelii for me does extreamly poor unless grown in strict lowland conditions.

Tony
Very nie Tony:)

Aaron,

You grow this N. thorelii (that isn't), far better than we can. Reckon we have had a sickly weak clone all this time. We recently had to destroy it for legal reasons but are raising a bunch of new ones from seed. Might be luckier next time. Like Tony, we've found it only does well in strictly lowland conditions but have never managed to get pitchers like in the last photo you posted. Congrats!
smile.gif

Thanks Rob,

I like my extremes… grow some to excel like this N thorelii and then get that darn fungus on others
smile_m_32.gif
 Need to find some middle ground!

I must admit that this clone of N. throelii (or not) does seem to like my intermediate conditions.  I can't take too much credit as I've not really had to try too hard with it.  for me I'd be putting it in the same ease of growing level as my ventricosa’s, sanguinea’s and alata’s.

The plant itself was not in very good condition when I got it and having recently been to see the commercial grower neither are any that they have now.  Certainly none of the red colouring was present.

The thought had crossed my mind to get a few more in the hope of getting males and females but I am pretty sure they are TC'd so if I understand correctly there no point as they’ll all be the same sex?

As a side note, the grower does ship internationally as far as I know so maybe you can get some of this exact clone to cross back with your own stock?  Maybe resulting in a more cool tolerant plant?

Hey all,

I too have wondered what version of N. thorelli I have. I got my a few years back from the CP Jungle which I believe got the plants that originated from Exotica Plants. My plant isn't as red as Tony's but I grow my outdoors. My version of N. thorelli has withstood highland conditions into the upper 30's but usually 40's on winter nights without too much damage. I grow it as a highlander purely by mistake but the plant has survived and done well for me. My plant has somewhat papery leaves so it does stress a bit in winter time. Since I've never grown my "thorelli" indoors I can't attest to how it does in lowland conditions. But my guy has adapted to outdoor conditions with my other highlanders. Here's a link to my plant http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/nthorel.htm
Some of the pitchers tend to be redder in summer. I should update that species photo. Maybe someone else has a version like mine that they bought from the CP Jungle a few years back.

Joel

Back