What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x home depot var. "mutant freak"

• Thread starter Capslock
  • Start date
Yes, this nep is a freak show. Its,... um..... uh..... what can you say, really?

N_x_Home_Depot4.sized.jpg

Capslock

That looks like ventrata with pitchers developed in low humidity. The low humidity causes the top to be slightly deformed and the lid to not grow. Yes, it definitely looks strange.

The decreased leaf size, and curvy growth I'm guessing are from the stress of the lower humidity/not-ideal conditions it was subjected to at Home Depot.

See ya,
Pat

Pat,
The thing is I've had it for almost a year in ideal conditions. I think it's genetic, especially given the growth point which has divided into like 12 growth points.

Capslock

Edit: I should point out that some of these pitchers are like 6 months old and still perfect. It's healthy in it's own odd way.

Max

uh.......ok  
smile.gif
thats mildly wierd
smile.gif
I have an N. x ventrata that is a cutting and rooted I know, and simply will not pitcher or grow straight leaves....its very malformed and I cannot figure out why.

Hmm OK! Just extrapolating from my own experiences with the plant. I have seen pitchers like that a few times, on my own plants and in the forums, and it was usually caused by low humidity.

I stand corrected.
smile.gif

See ya
Pat

thats more than a freak show!
wow.gif
im sure someone like you wouldnt want a deformed nepenthes in your collection of perfect neps, I'll take it off your hand!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
cool.gif

Tha plant looks like it was crossed with N. ampullaria . Otherwise it looks like a plant that came from #### !

WOW!  I think that's crazy that even in ideal growing conditions it had such trouble developing a lid!  Just shows what happens when uneducated people make hybrids using pollen chosen from an "eenie meeni miney moe" game!  
biggrin.gif

wow.gif
Certainly, not the epitome of Nepenthes grace.  
smile.gif

More likely the result of a mutation from over multiplication in the lab..

compost if you ask me

compost it? why? you should respect it still I mean it actually looks cool in a way...
wink.gif

Don't worry, I'll kill any flower-like appendage that emerges from this thing. Cuttings are out of the question as there's really nothing to cut. The only reason I keep it around is to see what happens next!

Capslock

Very odd looking.

I'm not sure of neps, but I thought I've read somewhere before that some times plants raised from tissue culture can take a few years to start growing right?
Just a thought.

I agree with droseradude, I appreciate such oddities for the idea of it being "original" or "individual". After all it is such carnivorous oddness that brought I'm sure more than just myself to Nepenthes. Caps is right though, I wouldn't allow any kind of breeding behavior from it.
I do know that such things happen from over use of growth regulators, and that is not inconceivable of a plant from who knows where and found at Home Depot. I'm sure that less than ideal conditions further push the buttons.
Caps if you ever have an inkling to take a cutting, I'd be interested.

Joe

Caps,

I like it. Certainly haven't seen anything else quite like it around.

Aaron.

I have seen plenty.. It's neglect on the part of the lab to turn out genetically deformed junk for the sake of pushing their cloning to the limit and churning out any old thing so they can stick it in a pot and bring in some $$$ for it. These things grow poorly if at best and will never look like a proper Nepenthes. I would feel bad for some beginner that picked up something like this from the chain store...SO yes IMO compost.

T

I agree Tony. I'm not a veteran of this hobby, was a real newbie when I bought this plant. I was just so happy to see a nepenthes for sale, I grabbed it. These days, I buy from more reputable sources
wink.gif
, and don't want to support such slack work.

Newbies out there, DON'T BUY THIS JUNK!!! Buy from reputable dealers. Be sure of what you're buying!

However, I just can't bring myself to kill it. Yet.

Capslock

I agree with Tony-it's a tc reject. I have also seen traps deformed like this when Neps are overdosed with Orthene.

Trent

Ditto, ditto. Seen a few of these even in the midwest.

Joe

Regect? You guys are mean!
mad.gif
You're going to hurt it's feelings!
mad.gif
Have some compassion!

Back