What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best window sill neps?

Which ones are the best for windowsill growing?
ill try window sill neps before i get into anything big like neps that need special chambers

Well gathering your conditions are typical household with moderate humidity..

N. xVentrata
N. truncata
N. maxima
N. ventricosa
N. khasiana

I have grown others but from my experience these are usually worth trying on a windowsill. Just need to acclimate them carefully and be patient. They may not always pitcher ideally but all have grown without problems. Some of the other hybrids might be good candidates too but I have not tried them. But basically those that have a large proportion of the above mixed in should be good also.
Tony

Tony, you mentioned maxima. I've read that there is high and low maxima. Which would be suitable for window?

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 21 2004,10:15)]Tony, you mentioned maxima. I've read that there is high and low maxima. Which would be suitable for window?

Joe
Guess it would depend on your local climate...

I am up in the frigid North so highland forms would be better suited for me.. although I grow the lowland form in the greenhouse right next to the highland form and both seem to grow fine /shrug

Tony

lowland maximas and truncatas are rare and expensive. i wouldnt risk loosing one on a windowsill
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 21 2004,10:52)]lowland maximas and truncatas are rare and expensive.
Guess I should be charging more then LOL

How many would you like to buy Spec
tounge.gif

mad.gif
nope, actually they are more common than nepenthes gracilis!
biggrin.gif

dont raise the prices
sad.gif
lol
tounge.gif

*threatens to start buying from Rob*

N.sanguniea is "one of the best Nepenthes" for window sill cultivation. Ventricosa and Spectabilis is excellent as well.

:: EleCtric CArnivorEs ::
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Electric Carnivores @ April 22 2004,8:55)]N.sanguniea is "one of the best Nepenthes" for window sill cultivation. Ventricosa and Spectabilis is excellent as well.

:: EleCtric CArnivorEs ::  
wink.gif
spectabilis is very picky about its humidity... IME, when it gets under 65% humidity, the pitchers look deformed like max's freak clone
tounge.gif

I will have to agree with electric carnivores. Sanguinea tends to pitcher more often on a windowsill than ventricosa.

Gus

I dissagree Spectabilis isnt a very picky plant. Most nepenthes diss-like low humidity but as for growing it on a window sill in my eye's does fine.

Sorry John but i still love ya
tounge.gif

: : ElectriC caRniVorEs : :

cool thanks, i didnt know u can grow truncata on a window sill
also, can u grow N. Northiana on a window sill?
Thanks alot,
Hellz

N. ventricosa likes filterd light and lower humidity then most neps.  Mine grew fine when I had it windowsill

My sanguinea will not pitcher without really high light levels. That is the reverse of ventricosa which often won't pitcher in high light levels. I'm sure it depends on how bright of a windowsill we are talking about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ April 21 2004,9:43)]That is the reverse of ventricosa which often won't pitcher in high light levels.  I'm sure it depends on how bright of a windowsill we are talking about.
I agree N. ventricosa can burn easily but once adjusted does fine in high light. I have dozens of various clones which grow in very bright light and pitcher fine. They are a pale green with red tinges in the leaves and make very nice traps.

Perhaps your N. ventricosa was happier a bit shadier because it wasn't acclimated to brighter light (which takes a while) and/or in a brighter spot the humidity is going to drop more as the air warms up.

Hellz.. I would deffinately not recommend N. northiana. This is a picky species that wants constant high humidity and very warm and stable temperatures with little fluctuation.

Tony

Hey Tony,
  The trucata x ventricosa I got from you is doing just fine in lower humidity. No, wait, not just fine.  This thing is kicking butt!  I haven't measured the ambient humidity in the room, but I think is swings between about 40 and 65% (probably averages about 50 or so).  That's a guess, though.  Also, the eustachya is doing quite well right next to it. You may want to experiment with that one on your window, too.

cool.gif

All my neps, including ventricosa, grow in FULL sunlight, and they love it! My key (and Phil Faulisi;s) to giant ventricosa pitchers, Is to keep the pitcher buds in complete shade, even complete darkness if you can, and ahve the rest of the plant in full sun. Once the giant pitchers open, I move them to a sunnyer location, and let them color up
biggrin.gif

Back