Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to repot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darcie

Here's what I use

Long Fibered Sphagnum, soaked and squeezed out (around 2 parts). If I have any, I'll chop up and mix in some live LFS with it.
    Vermiculite (1 part)
    Perlite (1 part)
    Sand/Peat Mix (1 part)
    Orchid Bark, Chopped to 1/2 inch pieces, or 1/4 inch pieces for very young plants (1 part)
    Orchid Charcoal, smashed a bit with a hammer (1/4 to 1/8 part)
    A few lava rocks, also smashed up good with a hammer ( since I can never find pumice)
    A few small granite rocks, also smashed up with a hammer
    A pinch of Osmocote on top after it's planted.

I hope this helps. Good luck with it.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, Bill! That's a lot of work! I'm WAY to lazy to put that much effort into potting media...
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed! I would be smashing rocks and charcoal all day to make enough for when I do potting hehe But if it works it works!

I like to keep things as simple as possible so I can reproduce them reasonably accurately and keep preparation time to a minimum. My situation is a bit different though since I can't monitor each plant and water when each is in need.. The overhead sprinklers are set based on what the majority of the plants are experiencing so it needs to be consistent.. otherwise I end up with some too wet some just right and some too dry = not very happy plants.

I think the main point is to fiddle around... try different blends and ingredients until you find one that gives healthy root systems and good plant growth in your conditions. SO take what you read in these posts as a starting point and build on it from your own experiences. Also never be afraid to try something new .. you might find an improvement in the plants respsonse! Just do it cautiously and with a few test subjects first.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mix like Tony: add the components until it looks and feels right: loose and open, yet water retentive. When wet its kind of spongy. I vary the ratios depending on the species: ie. merrilliana mix is much coarser than typical. Ventricosa is not very fussy about mix. We use our "standard".
    fir bark-fine
    aliflor-fine or medium, depending on size of plant
    lf sphagnum moss
    pumice-fine
    Canadian sphagnum peat moss- its the "glue" that holds it all together.
    For the coccineas, Mirandas, and ventratas I mix sponge rock into the sphag peat moss.

Schloaty, those "yellow" rocks are Dynarock- sold by Dynagrow. It's a porous sedimentary deposit from Australia that has water retention like fir bark-but without the breakdown that occurs with time. A lot of orchid growers are switching over to it. Cattleyas and Dendrobiums love it.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only difference for me is that I've never used peat, and I use charcoal mostly because it looks good mixed in there. My ingredient list:
    LFS, perlite, pumice, lava rock, charcoal, coconut huck chips, and orchid bark. I usually use lfs and two or three of the others.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 22 2004,9:31)]The only difference for me is that I've never used peat, and I use charcoal mostly because it looks good mixed in there. My ingredient list:
    LFS, perlite, pumice, lava rock, charcoal, coconut huck chips, and orchid bark. I usually use lfs and two or three of the others.

Capslock
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] SO THATS WHAT YOUR SECRET IS! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] Did you use that for your sanguinea? Its diong very well now, that new pitcher is getting bigger and bigger by the day [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "That's the sound... of Wild Bill working on the chain gang..."
    Seriously, the lava pebbles are too big around here and I can't get pumice either. Does that work pretty well? I tried a regular hammer to some course charcoal and got black hands out of the whole deal.
    Maybe I can raise my wife's eyebrows by asking for a sledge hammer for my birthday, lol. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    The pumice we use is about the same size granule as perlite. We get it from a large orchid supply company down in Kendall (sw. Miami). Good luck with the sledgehammer. You'll need a broom and dustpan to collect the pieces. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Trent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast