What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to repot

It’s very interesting to see the variations.

Being relatively new to the hobby I only have experience with 2x mixes:

The first is straight LFS.

The second is about 2:2:1 (fine Orchid bark:LFS:perlite).

Although my earliest plants are all in straight LFS I have not been totally thrilled with the 2:2:1 mix so far.  I feel that, much like terracotta pots can do, that the orchid bard is actually pulling some moisture away.  I.e. I am having to water those pots more frequently and the live LFS I placed on top is drying out rather quickly, which dos not happen with straight LFS.

For now any new plants will be going in LFS only, as I also love the look of the pots as the live LFS grows and flows over them.  Plus that lush green look.

I should also note that the couple of Neps I bought already potted were in interesting mixes.  A couple are in what looks like almost pure peat with maybe a little sand.  Its very spongy to the touch and the plants seem quite happy (N. fusca & N. ‘Allardii’).

Another newer plant is in what appears to be coconut husk chips (like Caps mentioned) and maybe some Vermiculite.  This mix looks quite nice and airy yet seems to hold plenty of water as I only have to water as I do for the straight LFS pots.

Here in Australia there is quite a few new coconut husk based products coming onto the market which look quite interesting.  However, my concern is the salt levels.  Anyone know much about if this is an issue or not?

One company called CocoPeat states that there is 87 mg/l of Sodium .  How does that sound?  High or OK?

Aaron.

100% NZ LFS. Works great for me.
cool.gif
I only grow lowland.

Joe

I read that the coco salt thing depends on where it is collected and if it is washed/soaked after being cut. I have an article on it I'll see if I can find it.

The Sri Lanka stuff is supposed to be good. Any cocohusk collected near Ocean is going to be salty.

Joe

I use coconut husk chips for Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedilum orchids, fifty fifty with aliflor. I wash the chips in three turnovers of r.o. or rain water. I really leach out some nasty stuff. On the first soaking the water turns tea brown and foamy. By the third soaking the water is nearly clear. It's a pain in the neck, but worth it for the Paphs especially. I've been considering using the chips with the Nepenthes, but I would have to soak even larger batches. The peat mix I'm using now works great with the Neps, so why fix it if it's not broken?
By the way, we use pure long fiber sphagnum moss for the bicalcaratas. They love it!
Trent

Back