Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to repot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil Faulisi was the one who suggested adding granite chips when I asked him about N. villosa. I couldn't find the chips anywhere, but there were little rocks all around....so, WHAM!!, with the hammer. I already had a big bag of lava rocks - the size of apple cores like for the inside of a BBQ grill. So, I smash em up and sweep them up with a dustpan into the Nep mix.

Tony - that N. burbidgea x edwardsiana is just stunning. It's already formed 2 new pitchers!!

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

Sometime I hope to go thru a supply place in Topeka, Kansas. But in Lincoln, the only pumice I have ever seen is "Ladie's Aid", a pumice stone for feet, lol.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my oh so complex mix:

2 parts peat
    1 part perlite

There is another varition that I like to use:

1 part peat
    1 part perlite

Or, if I'm feeling very productive:

2 parts peat
    1 part perlite
    1 part silica sand

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planted mine in a mix of: 2 parts peat,1 part perlite,and 1 part crushed pine bark. and mine are doing well
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís very interesting to see the variations.

Being relatively new to the hobby I only have experience with 2x mixes:

The first is straight LFS.

The second is about 2:2:1 (fine Orchid bark:LFS:Perlite).

Although my earliest plants are all in straight LFS I have not been totally thrilled with the 2:2:1 mix so far. I feel that, much like terracotta pots can do, that the orchid bard is actually pulling some moisture away. I.e. I am having to water those pots more frequently and the live LFS I placed on top is drying out rather quickly, which dos not happen with straight LFS.

For now any new plants will be going in LFS only, as I also love the look of the pots as the live LFS grows and flows over them. Plus that lush green look.

I should also note that the couple of Neps I bought already potted were in interesting mixes. A couple are in what looks like almost pure peat with maybe a little sand. Its very spongy to the touch and the plants seem quite happy (N. fusca & N. ĎAllardiií).

Another newer plant is in what appears to be coconut husk chips (like Caps mentioned) and maybe some Vermiculite. This mix looks quite nice and airy yet seems to hold plenty of water as I only have to water as I do for the straight LFS pots.

Here in Australia there is quite a few new coconut husk based products coming onto the market which look quite interesting. However, my concern is the salt levels. Anyone know much about if this is an issue or not?

One company called CocoPeat states that there is 87 mg/l of Sodium . How does that sound? High or OK?

Aaron.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% NZ LFS. Works great for me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img] I only grow lowland.

Joe

I read that the coco salt thing depends on where it is collected and if it is washed/soaked after being cut. I have an article on it I'll see if I can find it.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sri Lanka stuff is supposed to be good. Any cocohusk collected near Ocean is going to be salty.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use coconut husk chips for Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedilum orchids, fifty fifty with aliflor. I wash the chips in three turnovers of r.o. or rain water. I really leach out some nasty stuff. On the first soaking the water turns tea brown and foamy. By the third soaking the water is nearly clear. It's a pain in the neck, but worth it for the Paphs especially. I've been considering using the chips with the Nepenthes, but I would have to soak even larger batches. The peat mix I'm using now works great with the Neps, so why fix it if it's not broken?
    By the way, we use pure long fiber sphagnum moss for the bicalcaratas. They love it!
    Trent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123