Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to repot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have charcoal, sphagnum, peat, pool filter sand, perlight, vermaculite, and orchid bark. It seems to me that Orichid bark, Charcoal, Sphagnum and Peat are what I usually see good Neps planted in, but since I haven't mixed my own nep soil before I though I would ask for some examples of what different people use and in what ratios they use them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I'm replanting an N. ventricosa btw. The more responces the better. Even if someone else posts your mix could you second it or whatever? I want to get an idea of what is most popular etc. Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.peat with a dressing of sphagnum
    2.pure sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using pure NZ lfs and it seems to be working well for me. No mixing necessary... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Darcie,
    I pot most of my neps in LFS and orchid mix, roughly 3:1 or 2:1 (depending on my mood). I put in the orchid mix to lighten the LFS a bit, which I find can compact over time. My plants seems happy, so I guess it working.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orchid mix is 50-50 bark and charcoal right?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Darcie,
    I think it depends on the orchid mix you buy, honestly. Not sure. I do know there is bark and charcol in there, but I don't know the ratio. Also, there may be other stuff, too. I think mine has these yellowish "rocks" in it...I should look at the bag an figure out what everything is.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Orchid mix' is mostly bark with perlite and charcoal.

I don't use charcoal.. I think it's a waste of money and doesn't add much.

I like a mix of fine bark/chips (I use coconut husk chips instead of bark now), perlite, sphagnum cut up a little, and just a little peat. Ratio hmm beats me.. 2 chips:1 perlite: 1 sphagnum: .5 peat I wouldn't go by any specific ratio.. but instead mix something up and if it looks like it needs a little more of this or that then go for it. I am looking for something fairly loose that won't compact but will also hold a good amount of moisture.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess, from looking at the bags, that orchid mix around here is 50% bark 25% charcoal and 25% perlite(or sponge rok).
    This is one of those questions where you will get 100 answers if you try for a specific recipe.
    Is the sand fine or coarse? Pool filter is silica, correct?
    Anyway, it is pretty safe to use 50% LF sphagnum and a combo of those course materials. A portion of peat kind of makes the mix cohesive.

Regards,

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast