Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Close up pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony,

many thanks for your reply. It'll be interesting how the upper pitchers look like. The plants in Peter d'Amato's book and the Homepage of Joachim Nerz still look strikingly different from the drawing shown in Flora Malesiana by Jebb and Cheek. I've been talking with Johannes Marabini last week and he mentioned N. dentata and N. hamata are not the same from his point of view.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been talking with Johannes Marabini last week and he mentioned N. dentata and N. hamata are not the same from his point of view. [QUOTE]

Joachim,

He thinks they are two closely related but separate species(like lowii and ephipiata)

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 27 2004,10:23)]He thinks they are two closely related but separate species(like lowii and ephipiata)
    Hi Joe,

no, he thinks N. hamata might be a hybrid of N. dentata and N. tentaculata. The lower pitchers are very similar, but the peristome of the upper pitchers is quite different. So it'll be very interseting to see if the upper pitchers of Tony's plant will look like the plant Peter shows in his book or not.

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reread the Jebb and Cheek description and it is certainly interesting. My problem with N. hamata as a hybrid between N. dentata and N. tentaculata is that the genetics don't seem right. Based on other hybrids involving one species with a very 'toothy' and ribbed peristome and one without. This trait is often obscured significantly. I believe N. dentata and hamata are synonyms and what we see is just variation in the species. This does not mean that a natural hybrid with N. tentaculata doesn't exist.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any pics of N.dentata we could look at for comparison?

Thanks,
    Pat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.scarnivores.com/showphoto...#124;~Hamata~?

Check out this picture from Phill Mann's site. I never understood a possible problem before this thread.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very, very nice photo Tony
    Expression = Maneuverability x Coiffure squared

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see a problem with it.. Looks like upper pitcher N. hamata. Color is not all green but that is not an indication that it is something else. I have N. hamata from 3 different sources. Color seems to range even in lower pitchers from nearly all green with just a little purple veins to nearly totally covered in black spots. Teeth count seems a bit variable also. There are however many more aspects which are identical, such as pitcher shape, leaf shape, lid shape, and others...

I think some of the problem is determining what stage the plant is in. Pitchers seem to change shape as the plant gets larger and older. There doesn't seem to be a clear and distinct change from lower to upper. If I haven't seen pictures of uppers with more exaggerated teeth than I currently have I wouldn't know the difference. Clearly mine is not fully an upper pitcher even though it shows the classic examples of upper pitcher, attachment at the back, lose of frilled wings.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast