What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Close up pic

Are there any pics of N.dentata we could look at for comparison?

Thanks,
Pat

I don't see a problem with it.. Looks like upper pitcher N. hamata. Color is not all green but that is not an indication that it is something else. I have N. hamata from 3 different sources. Color seems to range even in lower pitchers from nearly all green with just a little purple veins to nearly totally covered in black spots. Teeth count seems a bit variable also. There are however many more aspects which are identical, such as pitcher shape, leaf shape, lid shape, and others...

I think some of the problem is determining what stage the plant is in. Pitchers seem to change shape as the plant gets larger and older. There doesn't seem to be a clear and distinct change from lower to upper. If I haven't seen pictures of uppers with more exaggerated teeth than I currently have I wouldn't know the difference. Clearly mine is not fully an upper pitcher even though it shows the classic examples of upper pitcher, attachment at the back, lose of frilled wings.

Tony

That photo Joe put up looks like hamata to me. I would expect dentata to be different pitcher shape a color.

I thought it looked like hamata too, but doesn't Phill's comments indicate he is suspicious?

Joe
rock.gif

Hi Joe,

no, he thinks N. hamata might be a hybrid of N. dentata and N. tentaculata. The lower pitchers are very similar, but the peristome of the upper pitchers is quite different. So it'll be very interseting to see if the upper pitchers of Tony's plant will look like the plant Peter shows in his book or not.

Cheers Joachim

Back up just a little. Is there a legimate species called N. dentata, then?

Cheers,

Joe

OUCH...that's painful to look at.
wow.gif
But very purdy.
smile.gif
Yeah...that one is on my list too.

Really nice photo Tony. Really wicked.

Update with new pitcher opened up for about a week now.

Photo 1 with the full view.  You can see the previous pitcher on the bottom left.  This is the one pictured in the beginning of the the thread.
ham2.jpg

Photo 2 peristome close up.
ham3.jpg

You beat my hamata! lol Gotta love that...picking up the new camera tommorow in W-town, should swing by and use it!
biggrin.gif

wow now that does NOT look like n. hamata. looks really cool tho
wow.gif
smile.gif

Very nice! I really love the appearance of the "floating" peristome teeth! I have something to look forward to soon!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

Very nice! The difference between the upper and lower
pitchers is quite noteworthy. Right now, I have one in
very similar shape, and the pitcher is approximately half
pure green, and half spotted!

I am curious to see if this keeps some color or not as it progresses. Particularly with some of my clones displaying nearly all green in the lower pitchers while this one has had lowers with lots of color.

It will unfortunately be a little while before I see another pitcher open as it appears reluctant to form pitchers unless the tendrils are grasping something. I have several leaves beyond this one that do not appear to be inflating pitchers and then a couple more beyond those that have grasped my overhead sprinkler line and appear to be continuing to develop at this point in time.

T

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 22 2004,8:44)]a couple more beyond those that have grasped my overhead sprinkler line and appear to be continuing to develop
The teeth are only needed until they get their tendrils on a more formidable weapon.  Be careful, Tony.

Nice photos- nice plant!  If mine were only half so large...
biggrin.gif

I'm curious what the scale is here.  What size of pot is it in, how big is the diameter of the rosette, and do you have a photo of the whole plant, with something of recognizable size in it?  Maybe...

... Specs face?  
rock.gif

wow.gif

Sorry this is an older picture from late last year.  I will have to take some measurements tomorrow.  If I recall correctly this is the pitcher that is on the bottom right of the first photo in the update post.  

You can at least get a rough idea on leaf size etc from this
Nham1.jpg

Tony

Give me your plants! Love the pics! Where did you get the plant, and how old is it?

Thanks,
Craig

This is one of Malesiana's clones. Off the top of my head it's been out in the greenhouse for about 3 years now.

T

Very nice. Big pitchers, big plant. Cool
cool.gif
Thanks

Tony, you say this is one of the more intensely colored clones.  Do you mean that the Malesiana hamatas are more colorful, or just one particular clone out of Malesiana's?  The one from Malesiana i got from you is very colorful right now - it looks more colorful than the lower pitchers there.

I'm trying to figure out what to transplant this into.  What kind/size of pot are you using?  Swords has his in a big plastic net pot.  Anyone know where i can get those?  I don't think Charley's has them.

I got my net pots (water plant baskets) at Wal*Mart for $.97 a piece.

Back