What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field's of n. rajah

It does not look like Leon is sweating...
Rob, is he really holding that tree by himself?

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In simple terms (not up with my eology) what's the makeup of that red soil?  Is it a red clay of some type?  Volcanic?  Acid/neutral? Rich/poor?

Any other species that are doing well in it?

Hi Aaron,

I know nothing about geology but it looks to me like some type of sandy clay.  The rocks around here are mainly sedimentary (I think!).  I've not actualy done anything about measuring the pH or other factors.  It's depleted farming soil, poor in nutrients and has to have a lot of fertlizer added to it before vegetables can be grown successfully.

Lots of other species are doing very well in it, many are flowering.  I'll post some photos later.

Yala Park is going well.  There are elephants, crocs and reportedly leopards, although rarely seen.

Rocklizard, they are actually under shade for much of the day from an embankment and a nearby nursery structure.  We use 80% shdecloth too until they are established, after which they don't need it.  Trent has pointed out about the humidity and temperature being similar to Kinabalu.  That's true for part of the year but we have regular dry seasons and sometimes druoght with no rainfall at all for months which does not occur so much on Mt. Kinabalu as the mountain makes it's own climate.  Then the humidity can be pretty low at times which is why I hadn't tried this experiment years ago.  I just didn't think it would work too well but seems I was wrong.

That's indeed a eucalyptus tree but Leon isn't really quite that strong, otherwise he's be running for an important political post in California some day    
biggrin.gif
  You can't see the roots and branches that have been cropped out of the photo.

Thanks Rob,

I was curious as the soil looks so different to what most of us use and, I suppose, aim for (i.e. loose, light, airy, etc).  It looks like the soil would pack down quite firm?

GREAT to hear that Yala is still well.  

I have very strong/fond memories of that place with Elephants coming to the bungalow at night to steal food, having our mini buss charged by a rough bull Elephant (AKA 'Tuska'), a Mongoose/Cobra fight, Buffalos on the beach, 1x Leopard sighting from afar.

Ohh... and of course the daily delivery of Buffalo curd in clay pots with Kittle Palm honey for breakfast ;-)

OK, enough of the reminiscing, this is a nep forum.

Aaron.

Many thanks for updating the plant site and pictures. I will be browsing through there for a good portion of this afternoon.
smile.gif

Wow...look at all of 'em! Wow...think about how many people WANT them! lol Are there enough to go around?
smile.gif

What Tony said...why do some have red markers?

That's really interesting to see. Thanks for posting the pics and teasing everybody.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne,

The red ones are going to the ICPS conference in France.

Pat

Hi Trashcan,

The new website isn't really up properly yet. When I posted the URL I thought we were just about to upload the latest version but there were a few technical glitches so it'll be next week now. Only the catalog and the About Us sections are working although there are lots more photos to be added. I'll post again when it's ready.

smile.gif

hey Borneo! very nice photos, really cool how you have everything set up like that and how they can grow so easily it seems

here in fl if i had ONE of those id be going nuts to have it survive, let alone grow,

very cool photos,

what else you got?
tounge.gif

Back