What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field's of n. rajah

....Rob is watching his rajah in their rows...
He hears a rustle as if something is walking between the rows...Danser comes out of nowhere out of the N. rajah field looking bewildered. He notices Rob and says, "Is this Heaven?"
Rob scratches his head and replies, "No. It's Sri Lanka."

Sorry, I could not resist. I would love to see a pic of these puppies though.

Cheers,

Joe
tounge.gif

Ha! Ha! Joe,  
biggrin.gif

Whatever you're on, mines a double!  These N. rajah's aren't quite big enough for Danser to hide amongst unless he's been reincarnated as a mouse! Anyway, Danser fell into a N. truncata pitcher last week...  
tounge.gif

Here are the promised photos.  It rained heavily last night and mud splashed up on to the leaves so they don't look their best this morning but here we go:

View of part of the plot:
rajah_field_3.jpg

Another view of part of the plot:
rajah_field_2.jpg

Close-up of part of the plot:
rajah_field_1.jpg

Close-up of plant:
rajah_in_field.jpg

They aren't very large yet with the largest being about 6-8" across (and there are many much smaller ones in another field) but it's been a problem species for us in the past and they are generally growing better than the ones in pots in the nursery.

Where's my shovel!
tounge.gif

Are there some that get more sun/shade than others? Like those near the tree line? There appears to be some gradient in sizes there. Which could indicate they prefer a little shade? or perhaps it's just more of the bigger ones were planted there originally..

Why are some marked with red labels? (someone was going to ask that so figured I would help them out hehe)

Tony

Good morning Tony!

You can jolly well keep your shovel at home.  Doesn't worry me too much unless it's got a loooong handle  
biggrin.gif

The ones near the rock line get more sun than the ones near the tree-line - actually a 12' high bank to the next terrace above running E-W.  However, the size factor isn't really showing up yet.  It was sort of random overflow from the nurseries and they were planted out randomly.  We have an Italian intern here who is doing quite a bit of research on growth of difficult species and he's monitoring them closely.  They are still getting Osmacote but of course natural prey too.  He dug one up last week to measure the root spread.

The ones with red labels told me they had a desire to travel so they're marked to come with me to Lyon, France next month for the ICPS Conference.  When they've enjoyed all the lectures and a few pints of beer I expect someone might want to buy them
laugh.gif

Rob,

This is a really brilliant thing you have done. Even though it's not on Mnt. Kinabalu(and they are getting Osmocote, and different insect prey), by having thse in the ground close at hand, you might be able to figure out some new angles on wild plants .
Those look like big Osmocote pellets.

Cheers,

Joe

Tony and I can combine shovel handles Rob! Hey Tony, what about your dozer in the barn? We could really get some rajahs!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 28 2004,6:43)]Hey Tony, what about your dozer in the barn?
WOOT now that's an idea.. Let me fire it up! We can get some pontoons for it..really BIG pontoons. Pack the cooler!

Rob,
Do you think it is important that the roots spread out or just that there is enough room for them overall? Do you think they tend to just have a wide spreading root system because in the wild the conditions are not right in the soil for them to penetrate deeper so they just naturally grow laterally instead?

My theory is they need alot more space for roots because they make a huge root system compared to other Nepenthes but as long as there is enough room it doesn't matter if they are horizontal or vertical. So that a deep pot would be just as effective provided the conditions are correct for the roots at the deeper zones in the pot.

Tony

:: Stands with his mouth open ::

wow......

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you think it is important that the roots spread out or just that there is enough room for them overall?  Do you think they tend to just have a wide spreading root system because in the wild the conditions are not right in the soil for them to penetrate deeper so they just naturally grow laterally instead?

My theory is they need alot more space for roots because they make a huge root system compared to other Nepenthes but as long as there is enough room it doesn't matter if they are horizontal or vertical.  So that a deep pot would be just as effective provided the conditions are correct for the roots at the deeper zones in the pot.

I wasn't going to say anything about this yet as only one plant isn't a very good sample from a statistical point of view.  In a few months time we plan on digging up probably 10 plants and carefully comparing them with plants grown in pots.   However, the one we dug up and compared with a similar sized nursery grown plant in pot supports your theory.  The roots seemed to go down as much as sideways just like other species if they have the room, so a deep pot may be as good as a wide one provided drainage is good.

If you have a dozer, I'd like to hire it please!    
biggrin.gif
  We pay far too much to hire machinery here and I need to plough some more fields.  Actually we have a couple of hectares of unused farmland and perhaps we could help repopulate mountains and get N. rajah of that pesky CITES Appendix I list!

I'll keep a look out for your pontoons and you keep a look out for mines in the harbor when you get here  
tounge.gif

Rob,

Fantastic stuff. I'm green with envy ;-)

Even more of a reason to get myself back to Sri Lanka some time soon. I was there in about 1981/82 for 6 weeks and loved the place even though I was only 11/12yo. Have you been to Yala National Park? Is it even still there???

Questions:

In simple terms (not up with my eology) what's the makeup of that red soil? Is it a red clay of some type? Volcanic? Acid/neutral? Rich/poor?

Any other species that are doing well in it?

Thanks,

Aaron.

wow.gif
wow.gif
you actually have a field of n. rajah, like a pumpkin patch or something!? you're lucky
tounge.gif

Nice! i think i need to find a shovel as well Tony
wink.gif

:: E L E C T R I C :: C A R N I V O R E S ::
tounge.gif

I'll answer your post tomorrow Aaron.  It's getting late here but I want to address the important and worrying issue of extended shovel handles first.

biggrin.gif

Extra-long shovels are banned from Borneo Exotics' premises.  Firstly, we have 4 dobermans (really!) that are trained to attack long shovel handles and keep on chewing upwards until there is nothing left to chew upon.

Despite this, several people have attempted to introduce long shovel handles into our premises.  Then we have Leon.  Leon is our Systems Administrator and is quite good with website design.  You can take a sneak-peak at the beta version of our new website that is about to be launched soon at
New Borneo Exotics Website, it's not all working yet but we're getting there.

When the dobermans have finished splintering up the extra-long shovel handles, then Leon clears up the remains thus:

shovel_handles.jpg

Anyone care to have a try at my N. rajah field?    
tounge.gif

ROFL! Don't mess with Leon!
Rob, that's awesome!
biggrin.gif

Don't you need special growing conditions for the rajah? didn't think you can grow them outdoors in full sun.

Remember, that's Rob's highland nursery. Humidity and temperatures are not that far off from Kinabalu- even Leon won't break a sweat moving trees around up there.

Trent

Wow. thats awesome!

Mind if I hop in the back of the plower?
tounge.gif
Oh, and I have this one sack...
laugh.gif
(schloaty, please, no comments please!)
tounge.gif

<span id='ME'><center>Spectabilis73 </center></span>

Wow, just saw the log picture... At least you didnt say anything about your dogs attacking sacks!
biggrin.gif

Are those eucalyptus trees?
<span id='ME'><center>Spectabilis73 </center></span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] (schloaty, please, no comments please!)
** looking innocent **
Me? Why, I'm an angel. Whatever do you mean?

Back