Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.villosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

Obviously N. lamii would benefit from these temps too. Is this too cold for most highlanders , or will they grow in there also. I guess what I am asking, is this set-up better for specialization growing of these specific plants, or can you grow all your highlanders in a chamber that cold?
    I also imagine that any slow growing Nepenthes benefits from heavy insect feeding more than faster growers?

Thanks,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (neps @ May 01 2004,2:44)]I grow this species. There are a few details about it on my website, which you can access here. The important thing to keep in mind when growing it is that it really must have consistently cool temperatures, at least in my experience. Personally, I think you will find that the daytime temperatures you quote will be too warm for your plant as it gets larger. I also recommend that you reduce your overnight lows to at least 5 C, if possible.

Moments ago, I took a couple of photos of the latest pitcher to open on my largest plant. Sorry about the poor composition, what with the tendrils in the way and all, but there was not much I could do about it. This pitcher is around 10 cm tall.
    Great looking plants Neps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    How long have you had the plant and how big was it when you got it?
    My N. villosa is still producing those far smaller thinner pitchers. It has some way to go before it produces that characteristic pitcher shape & peristrome.. Something to look forward to [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Do you happen to have a pic of the growing chamber that the N. Villosa is growing in?
    I'm afraid I don't. Sorry.

Quote[/b] ]I guess what I am asking, is this set-up better for specialization growing of these specific plants, or can you grow all your highlanders in a chamber that cold?
    I also imagine that any slow growing Nepenthes benefits from heavy insect feeding more than faster growers?
    I think that this sort of environment is too cold for most highland plants. There are only a few which really require temperatures this low. I don't know that slow-growing Nepenthes benefit more from feeding than those which grow more quickly.

Quote[/b] ]Great looking plants Neps
    How long have you had the plant and how big was it when you got it?
    Thank you. I don't recall exactly how long I've had this plant. However, I know that I got it in the 90's. At the time I received it, it was no more than 1 cm in diameter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff thanks for all your help i really appreciate that. This is the Chest freezer i have will this work fine? Here's my freezer
    http://Geocities.com/southerntropicals

http://www.geocities.com/southerntro...rewstsmall.jpg
    Welcome to S O U T H E R N T R O P I C A L S the nepenthes and heliamphora garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome!

From what I can tell, the freezer you've chosen should work
    fine. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12