What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New neps from exotica plants

Geoff and Andrea have excelled yet again with my latest order.  The ohotos are not the best due to being taken at night, but I just could not wait to show them off.

N. lowii (c ) Mt Kina Balu form
mypic34.jpg

mypic35.jpg

N. maxima (k) all green form.  The pitcher below is about 30-35cm tall.
mypic36.jpg

mypic37.jpg

N. truncata ©
mypic40.jpg

mypic41.jpg

N. veitchii (f)
mypic42.jpg

N. ventricosa (e)
mypic43.jpg

mypic44.jpg

Aaron.

Sorry about the size of that lowii picture.

They do sell nice plants. Makes a green maxima more appealing, lol.

Regards,

Joe

WOW!!!
NICE JOB!!!
ur plants look SOOOOOOO happy
biggrin.gif

also, is that Truncata highland form?
Hellz

Joe,

Yes, I am always so thrilled at the plants that arrive from Geoff and Andrea.  It's almost like each order they just get better and better.

I almost fell over then I saw the N. maxima green.  I honestly had no idea that a maxima pitcher could be so large.

Hellz,

I 'believe' its a lowland variety, whowever, on their site they specifiy it only as 'greenhouse bred'.  I grabbed this one as I felt it was a bargain price at AU$10 and although my setup is more Intermediate/highland I have another much smaller truncata that is doing quite well.

I just realised I forgot one.  Every order I have made with Geoff and Andrea they have thrown in a freebie plant (all very nice).  This time around they gave me a  VERY nice looking N. spathulata x alata hybrid:

mypic38.jpg

mypic39.jpg

Aaron.

very cool photos, the lowii is awsome

Hey there's no need to apologize, your pics are excellent. The bigger the better I always say. BTW your ventricosa is too gorgeous.

Thanks LOs,

Yes, I do like the ventricosa. Just shows that you don't alwasy have to go for the big fancy and higher $$ plants to get something nice. I have 2 other more typical varities of (2x lighter green and 1x green with red spots) and they grow like mad, so i am hoping this variety will do likewise.

Aaron.

Aaron:

By reading your two posts, i can conclude couple of things. First that the plants from Geoff and Andrea Mansell must be really nice. I bet they are experts in growing neps!.

Second, no matter how common a nep species is, if grown properly, it would look just fantastic. Now, let's not confuse people's preferences for different types of plants and affordability.

There are some people, unlike you, who'd love to own a N. glabrata or N. jacquelinae, therefore, they don't care spending a lot of money for them. If you want to wait 2-3 years, maybe you would be able to buy one of them at a much cheaper price. Nevertheless, i am not one of them, so if i want a glabrata or a N. jacquelinae, i am ready to pay the big bucks now and not three years from now.

cpaddict

So you're saying that Aaron wouldn't like to own a N.glabrata or jacquelinae and is not willing to fork over the money for one? A bit presumptuous I would think!

Exotica does not have those two in stock, so even if he had wanted any, they would not be coming in on htis particular order.
I have to admit, I was confused by that post also. I admire any well grown plant, and to take pride in one's, say trucata x alata does not mean you would not like a hamata someday.
One very respected grower showed me a ...I think it was a trucata x maxima that he was very proud of, and this guy grows the rare highlanders quite well.

Regards,

Joe

Boy'o'boy. What has been going on here???

Not what I thought I’d come back to!

CP,

1. Yes, Geoff and Andrea do grow some beautiful plants and are renound all over the word for there expertise (not just Australia).

2. Certainly no denying your comment.  I am yet to see a healthy Nep that I did not like irrespective of colour, shape….  OR….  $$$.

Now....as for the rest of your comments, please don't try reading more into it than I intended.  I certainly don’t believe I have been rude or insulting to ANYONE as you were to me.  Very unnecessary!!!

My comment was SIMPLY stating that at the lower $$$ end of the scale there are some truly beautiful Neps.  That's all!

NOTHING about affordability.
NOTHING about anyone else's preferences.
NOTHING about what plants I hope to own when my ABILITY improves (not bank balance!).

In fact $$$ is one of things I have worried very little about since returning to this hobby.  Within each person’s own means I doubt there is a passionate hobbyists here who worries about $$$ to much???

In fact the only relevance that $$ has had in terms of the plants I have purchased is that in line with my level of experience I have mostly tried to stay with easier, hardier and more common plants to start with.  Which in turn ‘tends’ to mean less expensive plants.  

Now that my skills and facilities are improving I am gradually venturing up to more difficult and less common plants.  Needless to say they in turn ‘tend’ to cost a bit more.

Sean,

N.glabrata or N. jacquelinae?

Admittedly I know little about those two and have not come across them on any of the lists from local suppliers.  Are they available to us?  Info on the web seems limited too.

Joe,

Not sure if you were confused by me or CP?

If me, I’m sorry you were confused by the way I worded my post.  I'm not quite sure how else I should have worded it, however, I’m sure you now see the intent with which my comment was meant.

All the best,

Aaron.

Watching this thread... so keep it civil.

N. glabrata is in AU but doubt it's available except for rare occasions. N. jacquelineae I doubt is in AU yet because of the difficulties with quarantine.

That aside.. a well grown plant of just about any Nepenthes can be truelly stunning. Price doesn't really factor into it.
Tony

Hey Aaron,

N. glabrata is only available through Phill Mann AFAIK. It is the most expensive Nepenthes he offers though- well over the AU$100 dollar mark. Paul brought in a beautiful plant to the VCPS meeting 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if Phill offers N. jacquelinae or not. It is possible though as his latest catalogue is very lengthy and impressive.

There is no reason why a flask of N. jacquelinae could not be imported into Australia without any fuss being made by my fellow Quarantine Inspectors. Live plant material is definitely a problem though.

Hi all:

I am also watching this post, and i have to say it is getting interesting. Regarding plant material being brought into australia, it is almost always a problem. But i know there is hope, 'cause "a quitter i ain't".

Gus

biggrin.gif

Gus,

I hear you.

I spoke to a person at the AQIS the other day.  Her initial response was that clean and clearly labelled seed was OK.  However, when she probed a bit deeper into it she came back with it IS, so long as you are a commercial entity and imported commercially packaged seed.

No seed collected, say, from another hobbyists and then send to us.

Aaron.

Gus,

By 'almost always a problem' do you mean getting the plants into the country or acclimatising them after treatment during the post-entry Quarantine growth period?

Hi Sean:

I meant by "almost always a problem", because of AQIS = Australian quarantine information service. They have very strict regulations when comes to importing hardened plants. They mean well, because they want to protect the environment against pests and other diseases, but i think they exaggerate when performing their duties, that's the real killer.

Gus

Back