What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you beleive this?

Can you beleive it, it rains for a couple days here and before that, i took my neps out of my greenhouse to put outside for water, seems like everytime i water the next day it rains, how ironic, well anyway, to my point, im having really bad luck with my bical, they were outside before, a few months ago, and my dad was moving them to cut grass and a new forming pitcher was stuck under the fence and it got riped off, when it rained i looked at in the morning and omfg, LOOK!, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED, IT PISSES ME OFF TO THE MAX WHEN A NEW FORMING PITCHER BREAKS!!!!!!! im having horibkle bad luck with it, 2 past leaves the pitchers have broken, the leaves were geting huge and pitchers tiny as ####,

May07546.sized.jpg

heres another one

May07545.sized.jpg

is there anyone else that has bad luck, when new pitchers forming, they sometimes break, jesus, i get soo mad

have a nice weekend.

Stefano1.

One thing that will always be true for rare plant growers, especially if they have a number of plants: we have them thriving, and we have them dying (well, unless you're Tony Paroubek). They come and they go, and every one is a risk to the heart if they decide to go. I have woken up in the middle of the night fretting over a plant in my sleep. I have had plants I beat the world to find, thrive after a year of patient nuturing to be ripped away entirely. Irreplacable! There is no love without burden I guess, but over the years I find I have become more accepting of the losses. If nothing else, each loss gives you some clue of what not to do - and when you add all these experiences up, it's really what makes a master: often just a case of not being a dolt, hee hee. I have drowned, dried, burnt, baked , buried and forgotten plants - it's that darn human error thing that HAL talked about in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Oddessy. So, you got to be easy on yourself, and take it in stride. Plants come and go, and sometimes there just isn't any reason why they do, or hopefully we will learn to self correct the urge to do exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time, and always remember: this is supposed to be fun, LOL.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 07 2004,9:58)]One thing that will always be true for rare plant growers, especially if they have a number of plants: we have them thriving, and we have them dying (well, unless you're Tony Paroubek).  
Hey now, Tony has trouble with lowlanders...thought I saw a dead nep and ceph or two before...whoops I'm a gunna get whomped on for that next time I visit!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ May 07 2004,10:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 07 2004,9:58)]One thing that will always be true for rare plant growers, especially if they have a number of plants: we have them thriving, and we have them dying (well, unless you're Tony Paroubek).  
Hey now, Tony has trouble with lowlanders...thought I saw a dead nep and ceph or two before...whoops I'm a gunna get whomped on for that next time I visit!  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
Yer fired!!!

LOL

I still kill plants... but these days it is more from pushing the envelope as I like to call it. See what can be grown in what environment and to what extent. Catastrophic disasters are hopefully a thing of the past as I have had my share of freezes, and fried to crisp plants. Even though I have backups upon backups I still have restless nights when the sun is baking the grass brown or it's 30 below and the wind is blowing at 40mph..

As for your busted pitchers Stefano.. Nepenthes truelly hate to be messed with. They have a special knack to form a pitcher in the worst possible place, making it impossible to remove without damage.

Tony

Awww...brings back terrible memories.

Hey, is it true that if you remove a pitcher before it forms, the next one will be bigger? Heard this a while back, but never attempted it.

I have tried that jaje and in my opinion, it's quite false and you only ruin a pitcher. The plant, in its own time will astound you with its larger pitchers when it's good and ready to.

Hey, thanks Tamlin for that, i try not to do what i did before, but blah, it just bothers me, and tony what your last post said, after the 1st bical pitcher broke i was happy cus the next one woulda been bigger, it was, just a slight bit, but in all essence the one broken before the next one wont be bigger to my experience

i also learned to not pull up a leaf that the tendril is under the moss, i did that on the northiana i bought, the 2nd leaf it sent out after having it, the tendril went into the moss and i pulled it out carefully to see if there was a pitcher, there wasa small one but in pulling it out it broke,
mad.gif
, now its growing alot faster than before, a month ago i had put my whole greenhouse outside in the sun for a week for my spring break, it had FL sun until about 3, boy, some of them got badly burned, but now my truncata is growing 20x faster and so is the northiana, the nothiana was in shade but i mean it had more light than regularly, didnt get burned, neither did the truncata, its so cool to see them growing 20x faster =/, i feel like i finaly did something right

See, that's what I mean. There is always an "Awww, shucks" and always a "Yay". Concentrate on the YAY's!

Hey, listen to all the mess ups has me feeling better
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
blues.gif

I have an N rafflesiana var. gigantea that is growing really nicely (its about 18 in in diamiter). It was making a new pitcher, which it had stopped doing for a while after a cat ran across it. Well, I put up a fence around my plants, and cats can't come into it now, but caterpillars can. Some bug had sucked the lid while it was forming, so it opened slightly. The caterpillar hid inside and maimed everything around the peristome and lid. it looks loke ####, but I'm leaving it cause the caterpillar left presents in the pitcher Which the plant can still benefit from.

On top of that, caterpillars attacked my alata, sanguinea, mirabilis 'winged', x margaretea, x. dyeriana, mindaneoensis, and my leuco seed pod.

I also had a cat sleep, YES SLEEP!, on my new rafflesiana 'elegance' (this is what promted me to put a fence around the table my plants are on). That same cat has treaded over my northiana, bicalcarata, x atro sanguinea, veitchii, merilliana, and killed my first raff giant and bical.

When I first started, birds pulled out my merilliana about four times and cats treaded over it. Its actually still alive, though it is less than 3 in. in diamiter after about two years. However, its actually starting to grow well now.

I hate it, because I've probably killed fewer of my plants than these evil creatures have.

JA

Back