What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some pics I took before watering tonight.

N. bicalcarata open 10-12 cm pitcher dripping it's nectar "venom" from those famous fangs and other nectary sites-if you notice the lowest droplet on the tendril is white and has somewhat "crystalized" having no nectar feeders to consume the stuff:
bicalcarata6.jpg

Here's a developing bical pitcher which is oozing nectar as well:
bicalcarata7.jpg

Here's a shot of some spotted Trichocarpa cuttings which have been growing since last January and are ready to bring new people happiness some plants have uppers some lowers. I like being able to see all the different pitcher stages at once.
trichocarpagroup.jpg

Other things dwell in my lowland chamber such as this young Amorphophallus titanum (one of the worlds largest flowers at 3 meters tall) which I received in Late Feb/March as a dead frozen seedling! I put the frozen pot in this super hot lowland chamber and viola a few weeks later a very healthy looking new seedling came from the corm!  it's about 10 cm high and the leaflets have not fully opened yet. It'll look like a tiny but fully developed palm tree when it opens (probably about 5 cm high) only 10 more years til I have the stinky titan arum/corpse flower (hopefully!):
atitan2.jpg

A Fly made his way into the chamber today:
thefly.jpg

I don't think he'll last very long in the chamber of horrors!
thehorror.jpg

N. ramispina recently made this 15 cm intermediate pitcher I like the black color but I had to lighten the photo so you could see the pitcher in the photo!
ramispina5.jpg

Hope you had fun!

Have a good week!  
smile.gif

Great plants! I love them all!
biggrin.gif
I especially like the "venom" on the bical.

Will you be selling, or trading them N.Trichocarpa?
wink.gif

I thought that ramispina was a highlander? Whats it doing in the Lowland chamber? It definately likes it
smile.gif

Or am I confusing N. mikei with ramispina for being a highlander?
rock.gif

Ramispina and mikei are both highlanders! or at least classified as such!

wow.gif
Then what's it doing in the lowland chamber?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD JOSH, BAD!
mad.gif
tounge.gif

Oops, yes, please don't be confused, N. ramispina IS a highlander. I only took the one shot of this highland plant cos it was the latest pitcher in the highland tank. Everything else in the highland tank is still busy inflating their latest pitchers and have nothing to show yet for May.

double post?
rock.gif

Beautiful plants and wonderful photos! Its like a trip through a greenhouse only with good close ups.
smile.gif

Very nice...I enjoyed that. Thanks!

Hey Josh, as always, great plants and great pics!

Very nice plants and pics. I am awaiting something cool like that from my bical.

Joe

Some great photos Josh.
Seeing your seedling Amorphophallus titanum reminded me of a couple I saw at Kew Gardens last year
cool.gif

Amorphophallus%20titanum%20sprouting.jpg

Amorphophallus%20titanum.jpg

Something to look forward to!! I hope you have a big greenhouse
biggrin.gif

cheers

bill

Thanks for the compliments folks! I love growing these plants and showing them to people who wanna see them. My friends who visit could all care less and just like to make jokes about my "male anatomy" plants...
biggrin.gif

Bill, thanks for the pics of that unfolding A. titanum! Now I can see that the leaflets are the correct shape when they're unfurling. I'm dreading growing it til it flowers and it ends up to be an A. konjak or something-nice plant but it's not the legendary titan! I won't need to worry about a giant GH for some time that both good and bad!

Now if I could just get some Rafflesia arnoldii spores and a Tetrastigma vittae vine...

Well, if theyre making fun of you, that means you have to give all your plants away! )oh, and give them all to me since i thougt of the idea...
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
)
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Cool pics!!!

The Bical is spectacular I'd make posters out of that photo, I'd buy one. The N. ramispina is amazing, never knew Nepenthes pitchers came in such rich black. Black plants are always cool. Thanks for sharing the pics

I hear ya man, my friends think I'm a plant dork. They too could care less what grows in my house.

Joe

Wow Josh, i just saw your ramispina, and it's amazingly dark. What is the origin/clone of your plant, and how old/big is it? Mine doesn't have such well developed peristomes, and is much less jet in color.

Thanks D!
I got the N. ramispina from Cooks which I believe translates to a plant from Borneo Exotics as most of his are (or were) BE plants.
Mine had maroon colored peristomes even when it was a big rosette but now the vine is about 50 cm high and the pitchers that are developing recently are the intermediates. It seems to be getting darker, so don't give up hope! Yours may turn black as it gets older as mine did.
smile.gif

Back