What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. miranda

Ok, I received my N. miranda from PFT and need to get up to speed on some things....

The hanging pot that it came in is damaged, so I need to repot it.

Can I used one of those "Self-watering pots?"
I realize that N. miranda doesn't want to sit in standing water, because of root rot---but will one of those pots work?

I have some of the mix that PFT sells---would it be good to use for this N. miranda?
I dont plan on cleaning the roots, etc, but am going to put it in a slightly larger pot--probably 10".

I've cleaned it up the best I can, but I will definitely need to repot it.

Would it do any good to add LFS moss to the mix or as a top dressing?

Any insight would be Great!

Thanx!

Don't know how the self watering pot works so can't help too much there.

Also no clue what the soil you mention is composed of. If you could give more details that would help. I am guessing the plant is in some sort of peat/perlite mix? I would repot ie fill around the edges of the larger new pot with something similiar so the whole thing drains evenly. You can add some sphagnum as a topdress if you like.
T

The soil mix that I'm refering to is the one sold here by Pet FlyTrap-- http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/category/pftsoils --titled "Our Own Soil Mix".

I think the self-watering pot will work as long as I use the self-watering part more as a "catch tray" for the excess water, but any advice would be helpful!

I am headed out to pick up the pot shortly, so I guess I'll be letting everyone know whether or not it works.

Thanx, Tony!

And Thanx for all those VFTs!
biggrin.gif

Yes, you need to re-pot. the miranda comes in pure peat-NOT GOOD FOR NEPS! Rinse off the peat, and put it in pure LFS. Self watering pots are not good, they promote root rot in neps. you can rip out the self waterer if you feel like it, though

Who says pure peat is not good? I would think that the size and health of the these plants obviously grown in pure peat would indicate that it can be just fine. There are many choices and mixes for potting mix. Nepenthes are not picky provided it is well drained, somewhat acidic, holds moisture.

The problem is not so much what it is potted in but caring for it and watering properly. Different potting mixes require different care and handling with respect to frequency and amount of water.

I also feel that a self watering pot would work fine provided it gives a steady amount of water to keep the mix nice and moist without waterlogging it. I have no experience with them and there are different types on the market which may or may not work as well for Nepenthes, so would advise caution.

Tony

I agree with Tony. You could honestly grow a nep in straight sand if you watered it properly and compensated for the difference in media type. The heavier the mix and more easily it can get waterlogged usually the less you have to water. Though once it does dry out completely it can take a lot to rehydrate.

Self-watering pots as well could be used, if you paid close attention to the type of mix used. Usually self-watering pots are made for some tropical house plants, or special ones made for african violets. I don't see what the problem would be really using them as if your african violet was too damp it would just rot away, rather quickly I might add. Usually the self-watering pots are made to keep the media evenly moist at all times. If you find it's keeping it too damp, just keep the water level lower in the pot, that way it will dry out a little faster.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 12 2004,11:08)]Who says pure peat is not good?  I would think that the size and health of the these plants obviously grown in pure peat would indicate that it can be just fine.  There are many choices and mixes for potting mix.  Nepenthes are not picky provided it is well drained, somewhat acidic, holds moisture.  

The problem is not so much what it is potted in but caring for it and watering properly.  Different potting mixes require different care and handling with respect to frequency and amount of water.

I also feel that a self watering pot would work fine provided it gives a steady amount of water to keep the mix nice and moist without waterlogging it.  I have no experience with them and there are different types on the market which may or may not work as well for Nepenthes, so would advise caution.

Tony
IME, Peat isn't good for Neps.. My Neps just dont like it!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 12 2004,2:17)]IME, Peat isn't good for Neps.. My Neps just dont like it!
tounge.gif
I understand your only trying to help. And that is a good attitude.
However, what doesn't work for you might be the ideal for someone else. There are very few absolutes but you make statements that imply to other people the opposite.

Your advice that pure peat is no good for Neps. Might cause more harm to someone that takes it to heart and does a frantic mass repotting when their plants may in fact have been perfectly happy.

When your trying to help folks, keep your advice in context with your experiences and state them as so. Your last post I quoted above is great! This gives the reader more information that someone has had a bad experience with pure peat and perhaps they should consider an alternative.

T

Trent Meeks advice on re-potting these puppies is pretty sound. He uses 50/50 peat:sponge rok(which is course perlite). That is not his standard mix, but since they have been grown in pure peat, it gives them a lot of what they are used to, plus provides the necessary drainage we like.

Regards,

Joe

I grow some of my plants in a 50/25/25 mix of peat, sand and perlite. They grow wonderfully and seem just as happy as my plants grown in full LFS. If the plant has grown in that mix most of its life I would think it would be perfectly fine to repot in such a substrate.....
smile.gif

my miranda is in a mix thats 60% or so peat(the rest a mix of perlite, orchid bark and LFS) and is doing wonderfully, large beautiful pitchers. it does tend to stay damp longer and i only water it about every 5-8 days depending on temps. it is in a 75 gal tank so its enviroment is steady humidity wise.

Rattler

Ok, I purchased one of the 12" self-watering pots from walmart and repotted it in peat/perlite approx. 50/50, and topped with LFS.

Right now the root ball isn't really long enough to reach down to the bottom of the pot, so hopefully it won't get/stay too wet.

I've put distilled water in the pitchers that are not split/damaged.
Humidity stays at about 50%.

There are 2 "tips" to this plant, so is the second tip a "basal shoot"? Can this be removed to start a second plant in the future?

From what I've managed to find this plant is very adaptable, so I'm just hoping it comes around and settles in.

mine was horibbly mistreated before i got it. once i got the humidity up and gave it some good light it started producing pitchers like mad. mine also has a basal shoot that has just produced its first pitcher.

Rattler

Like all the tc Neps from that big Belgian Nursery, N. Miranda has almost uncanny vigor. I've never seen any Nepenthes so eagerly produce ground shoots as their plants. As Joe said, we move them up to bigger pots to sell at plant shows several months later, and we have found the addition of sponge rock to Canadian sphagnum peat seems to benefit. We grow 'em a little dry to toughen them up for the south Florida patio grower. However, never let peat get too dry, because it is very hard to re-wet. It's hydrophobic properties are well known, and is even used in oil spill management.

Trent

Each grower will need to determine the type of soil that is appropriate for their growing method, a mix which stays light and moist from one watering to the next without being wet and heavy (or "compacted") is a good thing to shoot for. Unfortunately you have to experiment because each situation will be different.

I grow mine in a mix of 50/50 Long Fibered Sphagnum and fine orchid bark with a bit of charcoal mixed in. This is all I use anymore and for my method of twice weekly watering and controlled high humidity, it's perfect. It's expensive to make such a huge amount with these expensive ingredients (mine is now in a 2 gallon pot) but the plants really enjoy this soil mix. If I use peat that these plants often come in the plant's roots will rot in my grow chambers.

Good luck! Miranda is a real beauty when it gets big! Mine is about 3 1/2 - 4 feet in diameter with 14" pitchers - I like that!
biggrin.gif

14 inch pitchers!?!?! im almost half way there
tounge.gif

Back