Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. miranda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I received my N. miranda from PFT and need to get up to speed on some things....

The hanging pot that it came in is damaged, so I need to repot it.

Can I used one of those "Self-watering pots?"
    I realize that N. miranda doesn't want to sit in standing water, because of root rot---but will one of those pots work?

I have some of the mix that PFT sells---would it be good to use for this N. miranda?
    I dont plan on cleaning the roots, etc, but am going to put it in a slightly larger pot--probably 10".

I've cleaned it up the best I can, but I will definitely need to repot it.

Would it do any good to add LFS moss to the mix or as a top dressing?

Any insight would be Great!

Thanx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how the self watering pot works so can't help too much there.

Also no clue what the soil you mention is composed of. If you could give more details that would help. I am guessing the plant is in some sort of peat/perlite mix? I would repot ie fill around the edges of the larger new pot with something similiar so the whole thing drains evenly. You can add some sphagnum as a topdress if you like.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soil mix that I'm refering to is the one sold here by Pet FlyTrap-- http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/category/pftsoils --titled "Our Own Soil Mix".

I think the self-watering pot will work as long as I use the self-watering part more as a "catch tray" for the excess water, but any advice would be helpful!

I am headed out to pick up the pot shortly, so I guess I'll be letting everyone know whether or not it works.

Thanx, Tony!

And Thanx for all those VFTs! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to re-pot. the miranda comes in pure peat-NOT GOOD FOR NEPS! Rinse off the peat, and put it in pure LFS. Self watering pots are not good, they promote root rot in neps. you can rip out the self waterer if you feel like it, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who says pure peat is not good? I would think that the size and health of the these plants obviously grown in pure peat would indicate that it can be just fine. There are many choices and mixes for potting mix. Nepenthes are not picky provided it is well drained, somewhat acidic, holds moisture.

The problem is not so much what it is potted in but caring for it and watering properly. Different potting mixes require different care and handling with respect to frequency and amount of water.

I also feel that a self watering pot would work fine provided it gives a steady amount of water to keep the mix nice and moist without waterlogging it. I have no experience with them and there are different types on the market which may or may not work as well for Nepenthes, so would advise caution.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tony. You could honestly grow a nep in straight sand if you watered it properly and compensated for the difference in media type. The heavier the mix and more easily it can get waterlogged usually the less you have to water. Though once it does dry out completely it can take a lot to rehydrate.

Self-watering pots as well could be used, if you paid close attention to the type of mix used. Usually self-watering pots are made for some tropical house plants, or special ones made for african violets. I don't see what the problem would be really using them as if your african violet was too damp it would just rot away, rather quickly I might add. Usually the self-watering pots are made to keep the media evenly moist at all times. If you find it's keeping it too damp, just keep the water level lower in the pot, that way it will dry out a little faster.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 12 2004,11:08)]Who says pure peat is not good? I would think that the size and health of the these plants obviously grown in pure peat would indicate that it can be just fine. There are many choices and mixes for potting mix. Nepenthes are not picky provided it is well drained, somewhat acidic, holds moisture.

The problem is not so much what it is potted in but caring for it and watering properly. Different potting mixes require different care and handling with respect to frequency and amount of water.

I also feel that a self watering pot would work fine provided it gives a steady amount of water to keep the mix nice and moist without waterlogging it. I have no experience with them and there are different types on the market which may or may not work as well for Nepenthes, so would advise caution.

Tony
    IME, Peat isn't good for Neps.. My Neps just dont like it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 12 2004,2:17)]IME, Peat isn't good for Neps.. My Neps just dont like it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    I understand your only trying to help. And that is a good attitude.
    However, what doesn't work for you might be the ideal for someone else. There are very few absolutes but you make statements that imply to other people the opposite.

Your advice that pure peat is no good for Neps. Might cause more harm to someone that takes it to heart and does a frantic mass repotting when their plants may in fact have been perfectly happy.

When your trying to help folks, keep your advice in context with your experiences and state them as so. Your last post I quoted above is great! This gives the reader more information that someone has had a bad experience with pure peat and perhaps they should consider an alternative.

T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast