What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silly question, but off the top of your heads...

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Anyone know of any smallish growing neps (or any for that matter) that like seventies to mid seventies during the day and forty or a little below at night?

baby gracilises
biggrin.gif

That cold is ultra highland, isn't it? N. villosa might work.
N. khasiana is supposed to take cold temps well...

Regards,

Joe

How about any of those ultra higlanders, like villosa (or is it pillosa? I get those two mixed up....BAD SCHLOATY)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ May 13 2004,7:30)]How about any of those ultra higlanders, like villosa (or is it pillosa?  I get those two mixed up....BAD SCHLOATY)
BAD SCHLOATY!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Villosa is ultrahighland, not sure about pillosa

N. pilosa is also highland. As for those temps highlanders to ultrahighlanders would suit that temperature range.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 13 2004,1:22)]baby gracilises
biggrin.gif
That's a joke, right?
tounge.gif

Hmmmm, now I need one ultra-highland, small as possible of course.

I want to give one of these so called "bad boys" a try. Villosa is a nice one too.

N. villosa is very picky about temperatures. Particularly nocturnal temperatures. Try to hit at least 50- 48 or so is very good. I would reccomend a plant such as N. glabrata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata (although mine is putting some size on now quite rapidly), N. densiliflora, N. diatas (may be a bit viney), N. macrophylla, and N. rajah (gets big after 2 year or so)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ May 14 2004,5:30)]N. villosa is very picky about temperatures. Particularly nocturnal temperatures. Try to hit at least 50- 48 or so is very good. I would reccomend a plant such as N. glabrata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata (although mine is putting some size on now quite rapidly), N. densiliflora, N. diatas (may be a bit viney), N. macrophylla, and N. rajah (gets big after 2 year or so)
where can I get macrophylla? tony doesnt have it...

Look harder at Tony's site, Spec.

Tony has two sizes, both for a low, low price that will spin your head  (What do you expect for such a cool plant)...

...and one's got my name on it. ;)

N. diatas is, in my experience to date, NOT a small plant.  It's easily the biggest plant in my highland terrarium, and the leaves have doubled in length over the last three months or so. Incidentally, that one came from Tony, too.

Adnata is nice and small, but probably doesn't like that much cold.  My singalana has been very small for quite a while, so it might be a good option for a year or two.  Of course, lowii grows slowly, so that's good for a few years.  Same for villosa (Schloaty, how can you EVER forget villosa???).

D,

You have adnata in your highland tank?

Joe

Good heavens, no! It's in an open-top 10 gallon somewhat near the window. It gets a few hours of very diffused sunlight in the evening, and a weak fluoro during the day. I think the amount of light in my highland tank would fry it, if the temperature didn't.

20040508-CP-N.rajah-baby%20with%20offshoots.jpg

N. rajah stays pretty small for a while...

D,

I guess I got confused about all the only highland talk and saw you throw that name in.
tounge.gif
I forgot he mentioned size, too.
How is this grow area getting cooled so low, BTW? I don't know how some of these highlanders work in cooler temps than the normal 50F, but a nice small one that has not been mentioned(I think) is N. muluiensis.

Regards,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ May 13 2004,2:30)]N. villosa is very picky about temperatures. Particularly nocturnal temperatures. Try to hit at least 50- 48 or so is very good. I would reccomend a plant such as N. glabrata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata (although mine is putting some size on now quite rapidly), N. densiliflora, N. diatas (may be a bit viney), N. macrophylla, and N. rajah (gets big after 2 year or so)
NepG,

How low does glabrata like it?

N. glabrata is as tolerant as any highlander. As a general, temps dropping to 35-40F are ok for TYPICAL highlanders. Ultrahighland plants love 35-40F at night. 40-50F is generally what I try to maintain at night. But N. glabrata won't give you any problems just as long as your night temps hit at least 50F.

Shouldn't be a problem. I have a basic nocturnal cooling chamber set up, and given a few weeks and some spare parts I think I can make a terrarium chiller system out of styrofoam, and old fridge and a few other pieces.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ May 13 2004,5:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 13 2004,1:22)]baby gracilises
biggrin.gif
That's a joke, right?  
tounge.gif

Hmmmm, now I need one ultra-highland, small as possible of course.

I want to give one of these so called "bad boys" a try.  Villosa is a nice one too.
Not sure, actually. I've had a 'mad growing' gracilis for sometime and its still increasing pitcher size ever so slowly but still, the pitchers are as big, if not bigger than the leaves. I will try to post a pic soon...
smile.gif
wink.gif

Back