Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two of my current favorites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to share my amazement and excitement about two relatively unsung Nepenthes, albomarginata purple form, and ramispina

Both of these have very cool habits and pitchers that are unique and striking. They both happen to be very fast growers, as well. I looked over at my highland terrarium today, and woah, there's another pitcher on the ramispina. Crazy

Anyway, enough talk.

Okay, i gotta say something else. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Another cool thing about albomarginata is that it is much tougher in dealing with low humidity than most lowlanders. I took my rafflesiana, red ampullaria, campanulata and the albo out of my lowland terrarium and to the presentation i gave in January, and in spite of my caution, the raff, campanulata, and amp all looked like they'd been nuked

Two weeks after the presentation

after sitting out on display for a few hours for two days. The albomarginata never skipped a beat. It's very hairy, which probably helps.

Now that it's too big for the terrarium, i'm trying to grow it on my windowsill for the summer. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

The ramispina...

...that's it in the back. Sorry, i can't find the photo i thought i had. I guess i better get a better one while it lasts, right?

See that pitcher on the far right? I swear it wasn't there two days ago!

Edit: Okay, i'll get a better photo and bump this thread at that point, but i noticed that you can at least see the 'horns' (can someone please remind me of the proper botanical term?) that all the pitchers have if you look at the immature pitcher to the far left. Me parece un diablito.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants! Is something wrong with the leafs of the albomarginata? I believe the "horns" are called "spurs".
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

What do you mean by something wrong?

The long, undulating, strap shape of them is characteristic. It's one of the cool things about them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] If you mean why do they look dull, instead of shiny, it's because they're covered with a fuzz that protects them from low humidity.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey D Mus,
    How do you grow your albo? Mine's not doing anything. It's not growing, or dying. It's just sitting there. It pitchered two or three times after I got it, then....just....stopped.
    I'm growing it as a lowlander with my bical, campanulata and gracilis, which are all growing just fine. I'm confused.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my albo as an intermediate, and it just pitchers and pitchers and pitchers. It's the same purple form as D muscipulas. My temps range from low 60s at night to upper 70s/low 80s during the day. Perhaps they don't like the heat?

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schloaty

It could be the form you have, first of all.

But as for this one... like i said, i had it in my lowland terrarium with my raffs, bical, campanulata, gracilises, amps, etc. I can't really say how cold it gets at night, but it's easily in the 80s in the day. It may be that it experienced such remarkable growth because the winter temps in the tank were a bit lower at night than what yours gets, but i don't know.

I've gotta get me those sensors like i keep meaning to, and monitor everything with my comp so i can give better answers. Maybe after quals...

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may i ask where you got your purple albomarginata? i found the purple/maroon form of gracilis and it should arrive any day now but i would also like the purple form of albomarginata. thanks

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Pics/Plants! I thought ramispina was a intermediate/highlander!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast