What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My demented sense of my local climate

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
71°F
Fair Feels Like
71°F

UV Index: 0 Minimal
Dew Point: 68°F
Humidity: 90%
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Pressure: 29.83 inches and steady
Wind: From the South Southwest at 5 mph

Ok I know this is just 1 day but it is starting and will stay this way. Maybe a day off now and then but majority of the time will be like this except hotter.
Tony, start checking weather you non-beleiver  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Joe
P.S. This was taken from weatherchannel.com

HEY I sayed warped.. not demented
tounge.gif

And no fair if your checking it at 1:30 AM! I sure hope it's over 90% then. I will be checking around NOON on a nice sunny day
cool.gif

Feel free to punch in Rodman,NY so you can compare to mine lol.. To be honest I never really follow humidity even in my own town. I am of the belief that many Nepenthes, once acclimated, will do well as long as there is reasonable humidity in the air. And that many people get all obsessed with keeping their plants in perpetually sopping wet grow chambers for no reason. People ask me all the time what my humidity is and what it is in the greenhouse... I haven't a friggin clue!!! I haven't owned a hygrometer in over 20 years.

Tony

It was foggy last night until this morning, lol. I think that may have something to do with it. It was in Lincoln, NE at least. Seventy one is enough under those conditions to be quite muggy. I was in a nearby residential area and actually heard a frog calling(I am guessing grey treefrog, Hyla versicolor).

Joe

Tony, we did test it that one day! It turned out to be around 35-40% RH with the fans running that day!

So that's why my plants from Tony always LOVE the growchamber, eh?
cool.gif
Bad Tony, bad!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Well yes, but Tonys plants are always healthy regardless of what humidity they get! Besides, my hygrometer could have been off.

I honestly don't care what the humidity is as long as they're healthy! And boy, are they ever! Sorry if I seemed a little umm, harsh? I owe it to Tony just for putting up with me!
tounge.gif

My Neps don't see anything higher than 40% humidity for their 6+ months indoors every winter. They're all highlanders, but not the thin leaf ones which I assume are more aggravated by low or fluctuating humidity.

I have heard from several people that Neps just will not pitcher except for a hardy few in low humidity. I think though I dont know, that a greenhouse would probably have higher humidity.
It was like that all day yesterday, I was working late and just didn't get to the computer till late. Griffin, yes, it was extremely humid over night last night, it actually made it to 100% at like 3 or 4 am. My Ficus leaves were actually dripping even though I hadn't watered it in like a week. I know I'll never live down my warped sense of climate, now that I am taking note of it, it will probably be some arid number and you guys will think I am dumb and just can't read a hygrometer
laugh.gif

BTW my truncata is deceased, this was expected. I think it was depressed, it just didn't like any part of life.
rock.gif

Joe

Griffin, you mentioned the tree frogs. Do you have them down there? I have been told that there is a tree frog that lives around this area (E. NE and W. IA) but I have never seen or heard them in Omaha or any where except tropical ones in the store.

Joe

Well, I have N. hamata pitchering with around 7 inch tall pitchers in front of the intake vent and humidity can drop to around 40% in the day......go figure,....I use the plants as hygrometers. ;)

Joe,

Hope you don't think we are all ripping on you, BTW. I don't even have a hygrometer or anything. I know if feels humid and my wife and I complain, but I visited Baton Rouge once in the Summer and I will never ever say anything about Nebraska's humidity again, lol. I check the weather site when people complain about humidity and it's usually around 50%
Yes, we have grey tree frogs and they can be found mostly in the rural areas outside of town(where there are woods,ect?) We had a couple of Fourth of July parties outside of Omaha with a guy who had a swimming pool, and around his pool you could see a few each year. Some sport colorful green coloring, despite being grey tree frogs.

Joe

I know you guys are just giving me s***. I have heard of the frogs but began to think they were pulling my chain. I do go camping like in Fremont and don't see them there or at TwoRivers.
Perhaps I am mistaken about the humidity here but, I am pretty sure and have asked my neighbor who is the opitimy of gardener and he has assured me that I am correct. Though he has said that he doesn't understand either, why it gets so humid or how without raining. We'll see.

Back