Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's nursery finds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi aaron,

nice recovery. Are you growing the tobaica x ampullaria outside in an unheated greenhouse as I'm growing mine in a lowland tank and it is getting too big for it or should i say too tall.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrsitian,

All of my Neps are in the same heated glasshouse. I don't keep neps anywhere else.

Generally my temps are intermediate, though with the cold weather and overcast days (i.e. no sun) right now I'm not acheiving much more than highland conditions. However, my lowlands (truncata, raffs, amps, etc) are fine, and at worst have maybe only slowed a little in growth.

I agree the N. tob x amp certainly seems like it is going to be a fast grower if these first few weeks are any indication. At the current rate its throwing a new leaf every 2 weeks so imagine once the weather warms up!

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi aaron,

I have an unheated greenhouse as i don't like running power outside especially where i am. if there was a solar powered alternative i'd go for it. I used to keep all the highlands inside but i think the sun does a better job in regards to lighting. I'll only bring them inside during the hot months. I keep my lowlands in a tank but the problem is they are outgrowing the tanks and its difficult to find another alternative other than heating.

christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I am growing thorelli X ampullaria under highland conditions right now and they are pitchering!. I think it is sometimes difficult to guess the right conditions for a hybrid nep based on its parental background.

for example: I also have a N. wrigleyana which is a mixture of mirabilis X ampullaria X rafflesiana = all lowlands and yet it pitchers under highland conditions!. What's the logic behind it
    beats me!.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another update:

N. tobaica x ampullaria is now heading up to the 1 meter (40") mark and has just opened it's first pitcher (about 11cm or 4"):

The N. ventricosa x rafflesiana is also coming along nicely and is covered in pitchers (biggest abour 10cm or 4"). The plant is growing at about the rate of my other pure Vents (so faster than my pure Raffs):

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaron,

I got a tobaica x ampullaria from TP many years ago, with the same affliction as yours. At first I thought it was mite infection, but a miticide didn't help. I then had it tested by a plant pathologist, and it was identified as colletotrichum fungal infection.

It is a fast growing hybrid, and OK looking. It throws out heaps of basals due to the ampullaria in it. The leaves are quite big, but the pitchers remain small which is not surprising given its parentage. I have two scrambling plants of it that I'm just about to get rid of, as I need space for the species.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Hamish,

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I got a tobaica x ampullaria from TP many years ago, with the same affliction as yours.
    I'm assuming by this you are refering to the burnt look of the older/original leaves? I had put that down to sun, heat, low humidity, as every new leaf since I've had it is fine.

Basal shoots are certainly numerous, but very small at this stage for me.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, although if you look closely you'll notice that there's a lot of spotting, with red fringes. That's the colletotrichum - it gradually expands until the tissue is dead, so it looks like it's burnt. It doesn't seem to affect the new growth, but as the growth ages the infection moves into it.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast