What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird damage

Today when i checked on my nice N. thorelii x aristolochioides that i've had out on the deck, i found a cruel carnage of pitcher pieces!  
shock.gif
shock.gif
shock.gif

20040523-CP-N.thorelii%20x%20aristolochioides-pests-bird%20damage-pitcher%20carnage.jpg

In fact, there are only a few pitchers left on the plant!
mad.gif
furious.gif
ranting.gif

Is this a common occurence for those of you who keep your neps outside?

20040410-CP-N.thorelii%20x%20aristolochioides-17%20pitchers.jpg

Before

Sorry to hear that:( My neps havent gotten damaged by animals outdoors although the seed pods on my vft got ravaged!
mad.gif

ARG! That stinks! I haven't had that happen, though my neps have only been out for a few weeks.

I've had the cat eat my sars, though.
mad.gif

I grow my neps out in the garden and I get periodic insect damage on developing pitchers, which then fail to mature. Very irksome.

D. musc,
That's pretty horrific! I once had an inch worm totally decimate my tentaculata and eustachys purple leaves! It took me a week to locate that varmint before I joyfully crushed him and fed him to my carunculata. At least your birds didn't chew all of your leaves off of your plant! Good luck gettin' back to normal.

Joel

That stinks! Birds always root up any seeds I try to plant on my deck but they leave the plants alone.
Have you got a bird feeder on your deck? Ihave a feeder filled with sunflower seed so maybe that keeps them occupied so they won't mess with the other things on the patio (except to build a nest in my girlfriends spider plant). Also my cat is on patrol out there most of the time guarding the base!
biggrin.gif

i feel your pain. i have been battling the bird all spring. earlier in the season, they were uprooting my cp's for the lfs (to make nests with?) and now, it seems like every few days they dig up at least one of my plants! very irritating, indeed...

tech...

Back