Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. albomarginata not pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I like the vining & grasp theory, too. Because my albo's aren't vining yet.
    Plus, I could imagine that temperatures on Penang Hill in Malaysia (natural habitat of the red form) drop also below 24 deg Celsius at night. At the height maybe to 18 degrees. The green form is however from Kuching as far as i remember. Not sure about the elevation there.
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of mine. Note the closely spaced leaves. I have nothing resembling vining going on yet.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony & Volker,

Your ideas certainly sound plausable however, the leaves are not throwing tendrils. As the leaf develops there is the young pitcher 'bud' (?) but it does nothing. No elongation or swelling. I did have a look at an older one and it was not dried out and still seemed viable so....

I'll get that picture up after work so you can see what I mean.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting point. The albo-tendrils are indeed extremely short, but maybe once the undeveloped pitchers touches something, the tendril might grow a few mm, just enough to wrap around something.
    I have been to Penang 10 years ago, I will check if I can find a clue on the pictures of the albo's there, but i doubt it. Probably I just focused on the nice red pitchers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Update:
    Found a pic. This plant has at least some cm's of tendril, that should be good enough for climbing.
    http://pitcher-plants.com/bannersmall.jpg Manila, Philippines, Elev: 80 m, 24-33 C

Tropical outdoor growers: Please visit our Carnivorous Plants in the tropics forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

Here is the Albo when I got it in late Feb this year:

And here it is as at last night:

Anything jump out to you guys about the appearance of this plant other than the lack of pitchers?

You can just make out the undeveloped pitcher buds on the top two horizontal leaves and the developing vertical leaf.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a big albomarginata. It's strange that it is so green, though, considering you say it gets several hours of direct sun. My plant is much more bronze or olive colored and less shiny than that, and the leaves more rigid. It may just be the form, but i still wonder if it's a light issue. Anyway, this is an interesting discussion. It's nice to have people with locale experience to share some insight.

CAPS: That's beautiful. The consistency of the perfectness of the pitchers for so many 'generations' of leaves is impressive.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, sorry Caps, forgot to comment on your picture.

Beautiful looking plant. The leaves look pretty much the same as mine.

OK, long post, lots of thoughts….

The interesting thing with mine is that, although it is clearly a cutting, all of the leaves that were ALREADY on the plant when I got it were tightly packed together (much like Cap's plant). However, from the second I got the plant it just started vining and as you can see is stretching further and further between each leaf. So maybe it is my conditions that stimulated it to vine?

D, several hours of direct sun (depending on the weather - I.e. lots of cloud right now) but though 3mm glass and thin bubble wrap. Admittedly it is also not in the brightest area of the glasshouse too.

Just a thought... if it is in fact a light issue could the vining be an indication of this? Many plants will grow long and string in an attempt to reach an area with more light. Maybe that’s what the Albo is doing and could explain why it appears to have not been vining prior to me getting it?

Plus, D, you mentioned that yours was more "bronze/olive". If that's not due to the variety I would have though that indicates yours is getting more light exposure, relative to mine say!? I know that quite a few of my Neps do colour up (red/bronze/etc) in their leaves in the first few weeks I get them and remain that way. I took that to indicate they were getting higher levels of light than from where they came. Plants that have done this include N. thorelli (from green to pink/red), N. maxima (green form to some bronzing), N. ventricosa (slight bronzing), etc.

I had another look at the Albo last night and felt the pitcher buds. They are all very soft and flexible, hopefully indicating that they are still viable. If they were no good I would have expected them to be hard and dry?

So, I figured no harm could be done and have moved the plant to the highest and brightest area of the glasshouse (not a huge increase in light intensity though as it is FARILY even in the glasshouse) to see if that helps any over the next few weeks. However, IF it is a light issue then I may have a bit of a wait anyway until the winter is over and the day length starts to increase again.

Aaron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will take a look at my own plants next time I am in the greenhouse.

I agree it could be a light intensity/day length issue. Hard to say on the vining issue. Could be coincidence as the cutting originally looks like it is just starting to hit the vining phase as the internodes appear to be spreading apart when you got it. The current leaf spacing is what I would expect for a vining N. albomarginata. While many Nepenthes will show some leaf color under bright light but not all.. Unfortunately N. albomarginata may or may not depending on the particular plant. If the rest of your plants appear to have colored up from nice bright light then I have no reason to believe the N. albomarginata is not receiving sufficient light also.

I think your just going to have to wait it out until warmer brighter longer days return.

Tony

(note on the observation about newly acquired plants changing color)
    Many nurseries grow their plants soft.. ie lower light, higher moisture, heavy feeding. This produces larger plants quicker. With Nepenthes however this is of little value except for them to list nice big plants on their pricelist. Some nurseries are better than others. Properly grown plants will experience little setback and adjustment period while those pushed into large soft growth can experience a very nasty longterm adjustment period.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast