What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. albomarginata not pitchering

UPDATE:

Good news!

Joachim, looks like you called it on your last post with regards to settling in time with Albo’s.  Although no full pitcher just yet, the oldest well formed tendril has slowly elongated and the pitcher bud is starting to swell and form a more pitcher-like appearance.

If you look at the latest picture above, it is the second fully formed leaf on the right (after the vining has started and is pointing towards the green Maxima pitcher) that is swelling.  Since that leaf the plant has produced 4 or 5 new fully formed leaves, there is a half-formed leaf unfurling and a new leaf tip.  They are ALL forming longer tendrils and are starting to swell their pitcher buds.

So that's my good news
smile_m_32.gif
and it looks like only a matter of time now.

The interesting thing is that this is one of my oldest plants, yet is the only plant I have that has not yet pitchered.  Sure was testing my patience!

Aaron.

I'm a happy chappy
smile_n_32.gif

NAlbomarginataSemiMature.jpg

Jeeze, its being slow about it but almost there.

Aaron.

UPDATE:

I think I'm in love
smile_n_32.gif

Standing about 7-8cm (3") with the next looking as though it'll be bigger.

NAlboPitcherFront.jpg

NAlboPitcherSide.jpg

NAlboPitcherBack.jpg

After all that worry.... ABSOLUTELY worth the wait!

Plus I am doubley happy having sourced myslef an all red form and speckled form today.  Should have them by weeks end.

Question:  What's about the maximum pitcher size for Albo's?  I'm quessing not much more than about 13cm (5")?

Aaron.

Hi Aaron
Lovely photos there:) Glad the Albo is finaly getting the pitcher idea.Here's a couple of piccys of my young spotted and red form.

albo1.jpg
albo2.jpg

Bye for now  Julian

Nice albos Aaron and Julian I especialy like that red form:O

Very nice Julian.

I think my Albo is about to go into overdrive with about 4-6 swelling pitchers on the way.

I've already seen a picture of my red form that is on the way.  It is exactly like yours.  I now also hope my spotted form turns out like yours too.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron/Noah
Both grow well for me,as you can see pitcher to leaf size ratio is good on the spotted form and i just love the red form as the leaves are darker than the pitchers infact the whole plant
is purple at the moment.

Bye for now Julian

How cool tolerant are they?

hey chesara where did you get that red form? I'm currantly wanting to buy a couple new neps and red orm is on the list.....

Noah,

Of the three forms above, I BELIEVE the red (AKA 'Ruba') form is supposed to be the most cold tolerant.

However, my green form seems quite tolerant too.  Consider that I have only had it for 6 months (you've seen the first pictures when it was nothing much more than a few leaves) and the last 3-4 months of that, being Spring in to Winter (so short days), are not the best for Neps.  

In my glasshouse, for the last few months, night temperatures range between about 13-17C (55-62F) and days 25-28C (73-82F).  So as you can see it certainly performs well and grows very fast in these cooler conditions.

You should note though, that it did take the first few months to settle in and almost 4 months before there was any sign of pitchering, so that makes it about the slowest of all of my 60+ Neps to get going.  This may be in part due to the species itself, in part due to the cooler temps anbd in part due to the condition of the plant at when I got it.

Will be very interesting to see how my new red and spotted forms perform under the same conditions.

Aaron.

OK,

They arrived.

N. albomarginata 'Rubra.
NAlbomarginataRubraPitcher.jpg

N. albomarginata 'Spotted' - 2 months out of vitro.
NAlbomarginataSpottedPitcher.jpg

And there was a little freebie surprise!

N. albomarginata x veitchii - Not so obvious on this pitcher but there is a new pitcher that has just opened and it clearly has the white collar.
NAlbomarginataXVeitchiiPitcher.jpg

Aaron.

Really Aaron? I have a N. albo x maxima that I get no white collar on, unfortunately. Still a nice plant, though!

Capslock

Caps.

Really!  Quite defined too.

Looks like the collar starts off white (wel... dirty white!) and then turns orange as the pitcher ages.  My guess is that this pitcher only just opened in th last 2-3 days so will be interesting to see if the collar turns more orange like the older pitcher.

NAlbomarginataXVeitchiiPitcherCollar.jpg

Jess,

Green form is from a local CP nursery called Triffid Park.  The new ones are from a new Nep nursery called Captive Exotics.  I believe TP does ship overseas but I'm not sure about CE just yet.

PM me if you need further deatils.

Aaron.

Back