What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two that are interesting...

N. khasiana x alata speckled (picture doesn't do it justice, two days later it's even redder
smile.gif
)

N%20khasiana%20x%20alata%20speckled.jpg

N. miranda (thought this was interesting, the whole plant is almost purple at this point, apparently it likes it since it's starting to pitcher like crazy)

N%20miranda.jpg

Nep's on a rack (just for fun)
Nep%20Rack.jpg

The purplish/red miranda leaves lookes more like sunburn
smile_k_ani_32.gif
How much light does it have? I noticed my miranda from PFT burnes easily

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 24 2004,7:12)]The purplish/red miranda leaves lookes more like sunburn
smile_k_ani_32.gif
How much light does it have? I noticed my miranda from PFT burnes easily
Actually Spec, I thought not nearly enough.
smile_n_32.gif
It should be getting the early half of the day. Maybe 4-6 direct hours, and the rest indirect or shade.

It's interesting to watch the plant actually adapting to the sudden light intensity. It's not really burning so much now (the reddish "burn" spots on the leaves), it's just really pumping out the anthrocyanin and coloring up in my opinion...just kind of accelerated. Heck, it's pitchering now. I had it under lights in a tank and nada.

Ah looks great to me! The redder the better!
smile.gif
N. x miranda produces alot of anthocyanin, perhaps due to the parentage of N. northian (since N. northiana does quite poorly in bright light levels, the plant may build up the sun protective layer in response to the northiana parentage)

miranda_001.sized.jpg

Bright light and wide temperature swings between night and day temps. cause the reddish coloration. Not all Nepenthes do this, but Miranda is one that does-probably for the reasons Dustin explained. By mid summer, the reddish color is not so prominent for us here in south Florida when night temperatures are higher. I've always considered it a sign of good health.

Trent

Thanks for the positive opinions guys. That's what I figured as well. As schloaty always used to tell me, it's not a burn...consider it more of a tan.
smile.gif

I figured it couldn't be a bad thing since the plant started pitchering the day after I put it into the sun.
smile_m_32.gif

As far as i've been able to tell, neps with thicker, broader leaves can really take it.

Good looking miranda dustin! I figured the red was burn,'cause my red leaves turned brown, cracked, and dry!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey, how did MY name get dragged into this?
smile_n_32.gif

Dustin, sweet x 'Miranda!' Mine is just beginning to grow after the USPS beat it up a little in transit. I can't wait to get MY first pitcher.

I think i'll repost my Miranda pic again.

Miranda.JPG

Nice Miranda, guys.
smile_m_32.gif

i have one of those 4 tier grow houses. though i didnt think of putting them in because it gets really hot in there.

Back